Friend help, PLEASE

<p>So...my S is a freshman in one of the Lakeshore Dorms. Quiet kid....likes music and outdoor stuff like rockclimbing, biking, etc. Doesn't drink or do drugs. </p>

<p>I talked to him last night, and he is SO sad. He's having trouble connecting with people. He finds it difficult to just go up to someone and make a connection. His roommate is a good guy and has done stuff with him, but I think he just misses his friends (and girlfriend....but that is a different story) from home. </p>

<p>He's joined Hoofers, but hasn't gone on any activities. I told him to go to the dorm events and just talk to other freshman since there have got to be some people feeling the same as him. </p>

<p>What do I do? He loves his classes, which is good. He says they're the highlight of his day. But, he's talking about wanting to come home this weekend (we only live 90 minutes away) and I don't think he should. We already have plans to go out and visit him Saturday night and take him to dinner, but trips home are not a great idea so early in the semester. </p>

<p>Help....PLEASE!!!</p>

<p>The student org fair is next week - he should be sure to go to that and find if there are any more clubs he is interested in joining.</p>

<p>What is his major?</p>

<p>The dorms usually have organized activities that he can join in on - for example, Chadbourne has trips this month for its residents to a Brewers Game, Six Flags Great America, American Players Theater, and this past Monday, to Devil’s Lake.</p>

<p>Give him some time and be supportive, it takes some people a lot longer than a semester to fully integrate into college life and there’s nothing wrong with that.</p>

<p>I would also second what Madison85 said about going to the org fair.</p>

<p>My daughter is also in a Lakeshore dorm and arrived on campus knowing no one. She’s been hanging out in the dorm lounge some evenings and has met a lot of kids there. Especially during a Packers game!</p>

<p>I’m living in the lakeshore too. I can relate to him. Like mentioned above, I plan to go to the student org fair which should help. Also, I heard study groups are a good way to make friends once classes get a little more challanging. Have him find the fbook page for UW Madison class of 2015. That’s a good way to get in study groups.</p>

<p>Our D2 is a freshman in Chadbourne. This dorm has a very active Facebook group which she joined before the move in date. She told us that she gets a bunch of daily invites to activities, room hangouts, meals, study group startups, .etc). She has met everyone on her floor and has already made a larger group of friends than she had after 4 years of HS. Her problem now is finding/making time to keep up with the homework.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your help. He’s just used to being a very well-known senior in a class of 250. It’s a huge adjustment to realize that he needs to give it some time and effort. I hope he goes to his floor events. He is going rock climbing with Hoofers tomorrow instead of coming home like he was originally talking about (YAY!). </p>

<p>Thankfully, he loves his classes even though he’s signed up for hard ones, and he gets along well with his roommate who is a really nice guy. </p>

<p>@Madison 85. He’s a Neurobiology major/Psych minor. So, he’s in a couple of upper level Psych classes due to his score on AP Psych, plus Calculus with lab and 3rd semester German. So, I don’t think he’s meeting a ton of freshmen.</p>

<p>@komets. He signed up for study group notifications at check-in time. So, hopefully that connection will work out for him.</p>

<p>@hermother. That is an awesome idea! I hadn’t thought about it, but I will encourage him to hang out in the lounge. </p>

<p>I also sent him a list of (what I thought) were good suggestions. Hopefully, he didn’t roll his eyes too much! :-)</p>

<p>• What you are feeling is really, really NORMAL!!! Lots of freshmen have these fears. You can do things that will help you.
• Give it some time. A week isn’t nearly long enough to make good connections with people. Start with the people you’ve met already and take it to the next step by asking them to go do something together or just hang out. And, there are TONS of people you haven’t met yet. Some of them could become good friends.
• Don’t be shy about introducing yourself to people in your dorm, your classes, etc. Suggest that you go get food together, or go explore State Street, or go swimming. They will be SO glad you asked (just like you would be glad if they asked you!) Many freshmen are feeling the same things you are, and wanting to meet people.
• If you are feeling sad, coming home will not solve that. It will only make it harder to make friends, and then you will be more sad
• Keep the door to your room open…people will be more likely to want to come in and hang out
• Stop in someone else’s room to say hi if their door is open. This isn’t weird!! It’s how freshmen meet each other
• Check out some of the religious groups on campus….even if you are not going for religious reasons. A lot of these organizations have free food and activities and chances to meet people. These are usually good kids…not partiers.</p>

<p>My son lives in Sellery,a party dorm. He doesn’t drink but helped others as they got wasted. Made a lot of friends as well. Has enough time to do homework. Just miss home cooking. That was an easy problem to deal with: We just send food to him every week…With 4 hours round trip each time.</p>

<p>ZA- good advice, I think. I’m sure a bit of tincture of time and problem solved.</p>