Frustration with Housemates

I’m the landlord/lady of the place. So I met some of my friends and because they were having some financial trouble, I offered them a place at my place as one of the rooms were vacant. Turns out I made a terrible mistake. My housemates A and B live in the same room as they are both dating but they are absolutely messy! My housemate C has his own room. While I was away for vacation for a couple of months, I didn’t realize that they jacked up the internet (in my place, internet is not included in the bill; I only charge them gas and utilities) to over the 250gb per month so I had to pay almost twice as much as I normally would when I received the bills (the company waived the overcharge the first 2-3 months). When I realized it, I asked them to limit their internet use. They seemed pretty okay with it until I checked the internet use. Apparently, only a week or two into the plan, they have used more than 250gb. This continued on even when I came back from vacation.

That was only the start. After I got home from vacation, I was furious when I saw the state of the house. Apparently A,B, and C didn’t bother to clean much while i was away. The sink was overfilled with dirty dishes that had been left there for days or weeks and the trash bin inside the house was overfilled to the point the trash reached the counters in the kitchen. When they brought their dogs, their dogs started digging on the backyard. I kindly asked them to fill up the holes their dogs made with soil (which i provided) and yet they refused. They don’t even pick up the dog poop either and just leave it to stink up the backyard. They never bothered to vacuum the living room or mop and sweep the kitchen they CONSTANTLY USE. They broke my vacuum cleaner and DIDN’T EVEN OFFER TO PAY ME BACK FOR IT.

When A and B moved in, they just left their stuff in my garage, and it wasn’t even on the side! They just left their stuff in the middle of the garage! It took me a couple of months to get them to clean the garage and they ABSOLUTELY did a HORRIBLE job on it! While I was away, they didn’t even bother to turn off lights or turn off the AC when no one is home. I always have to turn off the lights and AC to conserve electricity and they have the GALL to say they always turn off the AC everyday. Even when they see me cleaning up the living room or kitchen, they NEVER OFFER HELP.

I don’t know how to deal with them anymore. I am constantly frustrated with them and no matter what I do, they can’t follow through with it and I also have to deal with college and trying to get good grades. The stress I get from them is so great that it’s affecting my grades. If anyone has some advice, I would greatly appreciate it

Give them three (3) days to vacate, then change the locks. Next time, don’t take in financially trouble friends. And change your WIFI password!

Thank you for your advise. My internet has a mac filter (and I have a list of their mac addresses), so I will be deleting their mac addresses after they move out. I would love nothing more than to have them move out, but I also need the money because of some unexpected hospital expenses and I don’t think I can get a new housemate that quickly.

Some people run into financial trouble because of bad breaks or unforeseen circumstances, but otherwise are responsible and hard-working. It’s OK to help out friends like that. Other people have financial trouble because they are lazy shiftless good-for-nothing weasels. Sadly, guess what category your “friends” seem to fall into.

They have taken advantage of your kindness and screwed you over. Sorry, but people like that are not your friends. Take a hard line with them and do what you can to make them move out, as soon as it is financially feasible. If that happens, cut them out of your life. You deserve better.

Oh, and find better friends.

You don’t need to wait until they move out to address the internet expenses. Cut them off now or ask them if they want to contribute more each month to pay for their internet charges. Or you could switch to a plan for unlimited internet use but again they would have to pay the extra amount. Personally I would cut off their internet access now, which will encourage them to move out.
You won’t be able to rent out your rooms to good tenants until you get them out of there so you can clean, anyway.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I greatly appreciate it. I kind of resolved the internet issue as they are going to contribute a bit to paying the internet bills. Because I constantly turn off the AC, the electricity bills have gone down. These days I just don’t expect them to clean or nag them about it. I lost all hope for them in that department. Instead, they have now taken to bringing home their friends from midnight on to around 2-3 am on WEEKDAYS and being really loud. They were not even considerate enough to ask me if their friends could come over. I have been constantly upset because I could not sleep due to them making so much noise. I finally realized what the problem was with them; they absolutely don’t have any common courtesy.

@AmyIsabella

i don’t even know them and i immediately realized what the problem is – they are complete a**holes. get them out of your house ASAP and keep us posted when you do

@Wien2NC
It took me a while but I finally got them to leave. On the day A and B left, I offered them my help to move their stuff (I want them out ASAP), and they refused for whatever reason. So guess what time they started moving their stuff… Midnight… On a weekday! They left a bunch of trash AFTER the trash day. They overfilled the trash bin outside the house and they overflowed the trashbag in the house to the point it reached the counter. The “cleaning” they did wasn’t even clean. They had the audacity to be angry at me! They claimed that I was pushing too many rules on them, but really, these “rules” are common decency, something the obviously don’t have!! I’m just glad to be rid of them.