FSU or UF choice

Anyone else in dilemma of picking between FSU and UF? If you can provide major and pros cons please.

1 Like

We had the dilemma - both kids - but both go elsewhere.

A lot depends - for example, from OOS - both had waivers - so dad liked FSU - cheaper. But my son was engineering - and FSU is off campus.

Dad liked FSU campus better but my daughter and son both preferred UF.

For some things like film, FSU will win. For other things, UF.

Both are great schools.

Don’t know your specifics but both are fine schools.

Good luck.

1 Like

Has your son visited both campuses? I think ideally that would be most helpful bc there are likely more things in common or that overlap than that are significantly different between the two.

The biggest difference could be based on what major he is likely pursuing.

Getting his gut feeling to being on either campus could be very meaningful to making a decision.

I attended UF (undergrad and PhD) as did hubby (multiple UF degrees).

S21 accepted to both but ultimately chose to go OOS due to his major (and wanting to leave his home state of Florida).

2 Likes

We visited UF and loved it and are planning for FSU on spring break.

Comparing from general statistics both don’t show up high for CS major but we have received feedback that honors program provides privileged access to dorms and classrooms.

It’s been a tough year where we thought something was slam dunk turned out to be out of reach. ED, EA hasn’t worked out yet and hoping for some regulars now.

Any inputs on CS major in both?

I have a family member majoring in Engineering at UF. He is a CS minor and has lots of friends majoring in CS. The hourly pay some of these CS majors are getting just for internships would extrapolate to a yearly salary of 110K - 120K. I don’t think anyone getting a CS degree from UF will have any problems with a successful launch to their career.

1 Like

Other than some majors (engineering at UF for example), it really just comes down to your preference. FSU is now a top 20 public University. I bet it’s top 10 (or close to it) before the end of the decade.

My daughter grew up a Gator and will be a triple gator in May (BS and MS in Industrial Engineering and a MBA), while her best friend, who grew up a Seminole, attended FSU for undergraduate and medical school, will be starting her residency this summer.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input! It makes me feel better about the schools.

1 Like

Is there any stats published on honors program acceptance?

Also learnt something new does FSU college of engineering offering CS major share the campus with Florida A&M university? Does that mean kids don’t stay in the main campus?

That’s engineering - I don’t believe CS is shared. But I’d call to make sure.

Computer engineering yes. Computer Science no.

My son applied to FSU but that was definitely a “con” in regards to considering the school- and thus it was an early cut for him.

2 Likes

I went to graduate school to both FSU and UF. Both are rigorous academically. The STEM majors typically require about 15-20 hours per week in upper division courses. The STEM programs have many international students and the elite in-state students are there too. So, the workload is very high on a weekly basis at both UF and FSU for STEM.

Personally, I preferred UF because it had the feel of a “public ivy” with its setting, location, and land-grant status. Years after I graduated, I still went back at times simply for a walk along Lake Alice and the comfort of being in the area. The students were also very nice. I remember one time in Tallahassee a woman in a mini-van almost ran me over at a clearly marked crosswalk when I was jogging. I informed police about that. It was disappointing. By contrast, some weeks later I remember walking around Lake Alice at UF and got to a crosswalk, and an undergraduate female student in her car beckoned to me that I had the right-away as a pedestrian and let me cross. She waited and let me go. I’ll never forget that polite gesture as a responsible driver. I still wear my UF Alumni shirt at many running events out west and often hear the call of “Go Gators”. I met one UF Alumnus at a mountain race in Montana. Gator Alumni are everywhere.

2 Likes

He did not want to try the arbitrage opportunity of applying to both FSU and FAMU and then choosing the cheaper one for the same engineering education?

No - because he was not interested in an HBCU. We had no HBCUs under consideration - never even gave an HBCU consideration. I’m assuming that’s a common theme amongst white students (and even many black students).

Nonetheless, the point you are making would be moot because this was the point I was highlighting.

“We are located less than three miles from each campus.”

I’m unsure why this thread was bumped when the decision would have had to have been made. Closing

1 Like