Fulfilling credits?

<p>I was wondering if it’s still true if students don’t take 4 years of foreign language that they have to do a year’s worth in college. </p>

<p>I was thinking about dropping Chinese because I already took the SAT 2 (730) and took 3 years of the language at my school. However, my sister told me when she graduated in 2004 and got into UCI, she didn’t have to do an additional year of classes because she took 4 full years of Chinese while her other friends didn’t and had to take the additional classes.</p>

<p>So if some people who just graduated let me know if that rumor is still true that would be great!</p>

<p>it varies, some majors require a foreign language as part of the ge while others don't.</p>

<p>if your major does require a foreign language as part of the ge, you are able to fulfill it by taking 4 years of language in high school.</p>

<p>pre-med doesn't require language right? i think the closest is taking 1 yr of english</p>

<p>Most pre-med programs EXTREMELY recommend a language, and when its that hard as it is to get in, you want to take these recommendations to heart. It does vary major to major, as you'll find that engineers will likely be exempt. Normally, however, if you don't fulfill a college credit class for foreign language, you'll have to take it (such as if you didn't get a 4/5 on the AP, or if you didn't take a CC class for it)</p>

<p>well i took spanish 2 (fr.), then 3, and now in my junior yr i'm taking the AP
would i need to take Spanish Lit AP next yr, or is the regular language AP enough?</p>

<p>The regular is enough if you score a 5 (4 might work too). Again, it depends on your UC's GEs. UCSD's ERC requires much more language than other institutions, just to point out an extreme. With that being said, if you are going to pursue a pre-med major, it's highly frowned upon to use APs to waive out of things, especially things that medical schools highly recommend.</p>

<p>what are GEs or ERC?
also, u mean like a 5 on the regular AP, not lit AP exam?</p>

<p>Different UC's and different majors have different requirements. However, my son took three years in high school and was told that would fulfill his requirement.</p>

<p>GEs are general education requirements that the school (or the college in the school) requires you to finish before graduating. These are generally generic for everyone in your college, and does not include your major-related classes. ERC is a college at UCSD. It's known to place heavy emphasis on foreign language/history, regardless of of your major (since UCSD does the 6 college thing and such)</p>

<p>but would i need to take a language in college if i'm doing pre-med? b/c when it says 4 yrs, does it mean level 4? my AP right now is spanish 4</p>

<p>The thing that has to come across is that it varies from school to school. At all schools but UCSD, people in different colleges (regarding their majors) have slightly different graduation requirements. A person in engineering, for instance, generally doesn't have to finish ANY foreign language. At UCSD, it depends on which of the six colleges you chose and their graduation requirements. You're asking about pre-med, but pre-med can be done in any major. It completely depends on your circumstances. Also, as I've said before, medical schools strongly recommend taking foreign language in college, and for that, they generally don't care at all about your AP credits.</p>

<p>so like 1 yr or intro spanish or something would satisfy the requirement? is this school by school or universal?</p>

<p>^^Read the italics...</p>