Fully vaccinated - How or Will Your COVID Routine Change?

How long since the in-laws got their second shot? It isn’t effective for a few weeks.

They can still get infected with COVID.

Until the science says differently, I don’t think the risk is lessened for YOU just because they are vaccinated.

Two tendencies at play here, neither rational: a feeling of safety (for self and others) after vaccine, which is not proven, as well as the natural comfort people feel with family, which caused a surge after holidays, I think.

I get upset hearing about people feeling crazy or being labelled when they are the rational ones- like you @deb922 !

4 Likes

My mil said that they would wait until they were fully immunized before coming, which I think she meant 2 weeks after their 2nd shot.

Thank you so much @compmom for saying how I feel! It’s open season for those who have received the vaccine and the ever present thought that we should get together with family because they are “family” and therefore known.

This is a fight I’ve been in for a year now. Feeling very weary.

3 Likes

That’s what I was asking – how many months of data will they need before they get a sense? Is anyone giving any idea? 4 more months? 6? A year?

Obviously it’s not just about wearing masks. It’s about when Broadway can open again. When graduations can happen. When people can think about wedding and funerals and family reunions.

I’m willing to wear a mask until everyone who wants to be vaccinated gets the opportunity to do so and people are able to get effective treatment. I don’t know if I’m willing to keep away from other human beings until covid is eradicated from the earth.

3 Likes

Once everyone who wants a vaccine can easily get one (assuming there is not a new variant that the vaccine is ineffective against), then COVID-19 risk becomes a voluntary choice (whether you choose to get a vaccine), rather than an involuntary risk that others impose on you. That means that it is no longer the case that there have to be restrictions to reduce the involuntary risks.

3 Likes

It’s unlikely covid will ever be eradicated from earth…the likely case is that it is circulating somewhere always, and that every year people will die of covid.

With that said, I do think things will open up when all people who want to be vaccinated are vaccinated…I think this will be far fewer than needed for herd immunity.

2 Likes

Once vaccinated, I don’t plan to go back to “normal” right away, but will probably feel more comfortable going to a store for something that is not a necessity or getting a haircut. But the biggest for me is that (if the experts and my parents’ doc say it is ok) it will be nice to eat with my 80-something vaccinated parents in one of our houses - still distant and not for hours, but just not be worried that we might get to close to each other in the kitchen, etc.

3 Likes

@deb922 thought of you: this is about when we can gather after vaccines

When Can I Be a House Guest Again? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

"Friends, no longer relegated to the deck, might actually come inside and stay a while, maybe for the weekend. “Could I imagine having my brother and sister-in-law and my nephews staying at our house in April? Probably not,” Dr. Jha said. “Summer seems much more reasonable.'”

1 Like

That’s a great article @compmom

My lung doc discouraged us from dining outdoors at a restaurant saying:
For now, I don’t think the vaccine changes anything - yet. Remember it’s only 95% effective. That means 5 out of 100 (or 4 out of 20 - which I think is easier to relate to a restaurant) may not be protected. So for those individuals, the risk after vaccination is the same as before. The vaccine will change the calculus when enough people have been vaccinated that prevalence in the community drops.

Well they won’t know for instance is the vaccine is effective for a year until they have a year of data on those who have have been vaccinated and contracting of the virus under their belt. I don’t think they can have people vaccinated for 3 months but have results that indicate that the vaccine is good for a year

@HImom he says this for outdoor dining? Around here (well…when it was warm enough) tables were so far apart outdoors at most restaurants that it wasn’t like being in the same place.

Indoors was another story.

5 out of 100 (or 4 out of 20>

5 out of 100 is 5%. 4 out of 20 is 20%. That is NOT the same. It would be 1 out of 20 to be the same %age as 5 out of 100.

5 Likes

This is not true, nor what the data mean. The covid risk of a vaccinated person is absolutely NOT the same as if that person were not vaccinated. Yes, some vaccinated people may still get covid, BUT data show the vast majority will not get a severe case and so far, no vaccinated people have died of covid. Look at the clinical trial data, as well as the Israel data other posters have linked to.

Here is the Israel real world data:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-idUKKBN2AE0Q2

7 Likes

Probably a paywall for some but:

Opinion | The vaccinated need to know: What’s safe for them to do? - The Washington Post

I want to thank everyone who weighed in on my dilemma.

Sometimes you feel like you are alone on this island, and it’s nice to hear that you actually aren’t. :grinning:

9 Likes

Data released by Israeli health maintenance organization Maccabi revealed that out of 620,000 who received their second COVID vaccine, only 608 contracted the virus .

Most of the fully vaccinated COVID patients, Maccabi said, suffered from light symptoms only, or were asymptomatic. Of the 608, 21 were hospitalized, and of those, seven had severe symptoms, three displayed moderate symptoms, and 11 had light symptoms.

4 Likes

You are definitely not alone. Wish I had something meaningful to add here . Wishing you luck.

2 Likes

New data out of UK regarding effectiveness of vaccine. ‘Encouraging’ signs for Covid vaccine as over-80s deaths fall in England

I will continue to wear a mask and follow other health guidelines. But, as long as the numbers in my state continue to drop as they have been, I’d be much more comfortable going out to eat, shopping, etc. I also would like to socialize a bit again. I feel like my husband and I are literally the only people we know who aren’t. I saw my neighbors yesterday and they were talking about having us over for dinner. Another friend invited me out to lunch this week. I say no to my families holidays even though they all get together. I’d really just like to be able to see people again and avoid these constant awkward conversations. But so far, no one in my family has been vaccinated, including my 90 year old parents, except for my college aged daughter. I thought my husband would be eligible early due to some health issues but my state isn’t prioritizing that group.

That’s the difference where I live. Every last shot is used. If no one who fits the guidelines is available someone nearby can get it.

4 Likes

And around here, most places have wait lists and call people off of these to come at the last minute to get “leftover” vaccine…rather than discard it. These waitlists are eligible folks.