Futon in RCS?

<p>

</p>

<p>I find this an interesting requirement considering that UA had furniture in Rose Towers and may still in other dorms, that did not meet the most current requirements (1986?), but met the requirements circa 1936 as the furniture was likely the same set that was placed in the room when the building was constructed in 1969. Some of the furniture I’ve seen in UA offices also likely does not meet those requirements as they were purchased circa 1973.</p>

<p>Make sure that your student can climb up to their lofted bed or is prepared to sleep on the futon/whatever is underneath. In my time at UA, I noticed that freshmen tended to loft their beds, while upperclassmen tended to keep their beds closer to a standard level or even just put their mattress on the ground.</p>

<p>As UAHousing has posted before, fill out a work order to have the bed height changed as in the past, students and parents have caused damage to bed frames by trying to adjust the bed height themselves.</p>

<p>find this an interesting requirement considering that UA had furniture in Rose Towers and may still in other dorms, that did not meet the most current requirements (1986?), but met the requirements circa 1936 as the furniture was likely the same set that was placed in the room when the building was constructed in 1969. Some of the furniture I’ve seen in UA offices also likely does not meet those requirements as they were purchased circa 1973.</p>

<p>Sea_Tide… While perhaps some of the hard surfaced furniture from 1969 was still in use, it would be hard to believe that the same upholstery or upholstered furniture would still be in use (fabric chairs, fabric sofas). If the fabrics are synthetics, then they might meet the new regulations.</p>

<p>As for office furniture, I don’t know. Even for office furniture, fabric covered furniture would have likely been replaced or reupholstered by now. But perhaps the rules aren’t as strict for furniture that aren’t in sleeping quarters.</p>

<p>I know this is probably on the banned list, but maybe we should pack a small fire extinguisher for the suite!? ;)</p>

<p>My son had a futon under his bed in RCS. We bought it at Sam’s Club and it fit perfectly. DH and I almost missed our flight because it took so long to put together!</p>

<p>m2ck the furniture in Rose Towers I was referring to was a couch. I don’t think UA had much desire to put any money into Rose Towers at the time, so the old stuff stayed and was grandfathered in. UA has a lot of older office furniture which professors found in semi-forgotten rooms and decide that the furniture is too good to surplus. If one can get past the color scheme, some furniture from the 60s and 70s can be very comfortable. :)</p>

<p>While I don’t think they are banned, I wouldn’t suggest bringing a fire extinguisher. Rooms are equipped with smoke detectors and sprinkler systems. I would however suggest bringing a three-pronged surge protector.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info, I think D will bring either a futon or an extra small sofa from IKEA that is in our game room. Sitting on a bed is not comfortable for D, it tends to hurt her back probably related to her scoliosis.</p>

<p>As the OP, I will tell you that my S DID successfully have a futon in his room, under the lofted bed, in RCS. However, he did decide toward the end of the first semester that he preferred his bed at a more “traditional” height…and his suitemates preferred the futon for additional seating in the common living area! We have stored the futon at a storage facility in T-town, and it will be making its second-year appearance in the apartment my S has rented with one of his roommates from RCS.</p>

<p>Op that is good to know, I think D will make good use of the extra seating either in her room or in the living area! Do you mind sharing a description of how he laid his room out with the futon in it?</p>

<p>I believe S had room “A” in the suite. The bed was lofted along the long wall opposite the door, with the futon underneath. Dresser was immediately to the right of the door, with his TV on top of the dresser (facing bed and futon!). Desk was placed next to the bed by the window. We also purchased a small bookshelf to place in the corner next to the desk…was very helpful for textbook storage, alarm clock, pictures/misc. items, etc. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>For those thinking of lofted beds but wary of falling off, DD says she saw a solution on Pinterest:</p>

<p>Put a swim Noodle under the fitted sheet on the side of the bed and it creates a “crib edge” so you will be aware of the edge and not fall off.</p>

<p>Op thanks for the layout, TX pool noodle is a great idea!</p>