Future Black Doctors Thread

<p>Hey everyone! So I was looking at stats from the AMA, and it showed that only 5% of practicing physicians in the US are black. I couldn't get that particular stat off my mind. And now since that stat is still on my mind and I'm on the AA section of CC, I want to know how many of you plan to be doctors like me? What do you want to major in during your undergrad studies? What med schools are you looking at (If any)?</p>

<p>I want to be an orthopedic surgeon and hope to study biology in undergrad. Not really sure where I want to go to med school (I have about 5-6 years until that lol)</p>

<p>i want to be a neurologist and major in neuroscience. not sure about where i’ll go for med school, but i’ll cross that bridge when i get to it. i am worried about paying for it though. are there medical schools that provide financial aid or have lower tuition? I know that Downstate SUNY Medical college here in New York has a lower tuition than most, but are there others?</p>

<p>Neurology/Neurosurgery is what I want to get into as well :smiley: And I’m worried about how I’m going to pay for it too. I’ve heard that medical schools affiliated with state schools tend to have lower tuition rates. Down here in Philly, going to Temple’s med school is cheaper than going to UPenn or Drexel. I guess it all depends on the state or institution</p>

<p>Hi! Sorry for entering on the thread so late. That statistic is pretty intimidating, but it’s a great motivator as well. I am currently a junior in high school and I plan on majoring in biology. Some med schools I’ve looked into so far are Tulane University med school, and Stanford University med school. I love them both and I am planning to attend one or the other for my undergrad studies. Good luck to all of you though :)</p>

<p>Good luck to you too! That stat is a motivator to me too. I’ve always liked to stand out in a crowd; so if only 5% of physicians are black, I would definitely stand out in some places! :slight_smile: My primary major is probably going to be Economics while taking my pre-med courses.</p>

<p>That stat is upsetting, but I want to help change it.
I want to double major in Bio and Chem, or Molecular Bio and Astrophysics. Or triple major (no one will let me, lol). Trying to make up for poor performance in high-school, haha.
I like Harvard Med school.</p>

<p>Yeah I definitely want to be a doctor as well. So im gonna major in biology with a pre med track and maybe double major or minor in psychology in hopes of being a surgeon or pathologist.</p>

<p>A parent of an AA medschool student here. I notice all of you are in HS still. I just wanted to direct you to the premed forum here [Pre-Med</a> Topics - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/]Pre-Med”>Pre-Med Topics - College Confidential Forums)</p>

<p>I noticed all of you are saying you are going to be majoring in the sciences. I just wanted to point out that you can major in anything you want and still go to med school. My daughter was a classics major. Also, don’t ever say you want to go to XYZ medschool. All med schools teach the same thing, and to say you want to go to Stanford or Harvard is…pretty silly. Go to UG, have a good GPA, MCAT and do your EC’s starting freshman year of college. Apply broadly and then cross your fingers. As far as finances go, there are schools that give out merit scholarships (very rare) and there are also a handful of schools that give out need based aid. Don’t worry about medschool now, just do well in UG and take advice from your advisor and of course the folks here at CC on the premed forum. Good luck!</p>

<p>I want to be an Anesthesiologist. I really want to major in Nursing then go to Med-School . Bad idea ? Or should I just do Biology .</p>

<p>I wanna be an anesthesiologist too (:</p>

<p>I’m not going to major in Bio in college. When I took Bio last year, I fell in love with cell bio, genetics, and human bio, not animal bio, taxonomy, and plant bio. That just bores me. My major will be Economics while taking my pre-med courses.</p>

<p>I would love the Opportunity to become a Pathologist!</p>

<p>"I really want to major in Nursing then go to Med-School . Bad idea ? Or should I just do Biology . "</p>

<p>I am a black doctor as is my husband. We graduated med school in the 80’s. I think all of you have wonderful goals, and I definitely want to encourage you. </p>

<p>I ALSO want you to keep in mind that a lot of doctors are reminding their kids that allied health professions are looking pretty good right now too. My mother was a [Nurse</a> anesthetist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_anesthetist]Nurse”>Nurse anesthetist - Wikipedia).</p>

<p>@Shrinkrap Thanks for the encouragement! Even though a career in the allied health professions seem promising, I really have my sights set on Neurosurgery. This field is still relatively new and still developing, and I want to get in on the action. I realized a few months ago that I want to go into research as well as performing neurosurgeries if I choose to enter this field. I could be a pioneer on neurological treatments and drugs, neurosurgical techniques, and a lot of other things too! What I really want to research though is the neurological side of behavioral issues. I would love to create drugs and treatments to these!</p>

<p>I want to go to NYU, Duke, Cornell or even UNC-Chapel Hill for medical school! I am still in high school but I am a senior and those schools I am dying to attend!</p>

<p>Futuredoctor, neurology, and neurosurgery , and drugs and treatments for behavioral issues are three very separate philosophies and pathways of training. I am a Child Psychiatrist. I wonder if that is what you want. You should know there is lots of scandal and controversy in this field right now, but who knows where we will be when you finish your initial residency in 12 years.</p>

<p>I am considering a major in biology and then going on to be an anesthesiologist, I belive this is what I want to do but I have my doubts its intrmidating but I belive I can do it.</p>

<p>I am considering a career in anesthesia, not quite sure what route to take, I love biology it comes natural to me however I’m unsure</p>

<p>Medicine has changed so much that I don’t see the appeal.</p>