FYE chances?

<p>Applying for FYE(First Year Engineering)
White Male
OUT of state(Illinois)
GPA UW: 3.2, W: 3.6
I came from a less than stellar grade school and I was placed in all regulars classes in both 9th and 10th grade, where I got 2 Cs in PE and 1 in English. From Sophomore year to Junior year I went from all regulars classes to all Honors and 1 AP(Microecon-got a 5) and got all As/Bs. I don't know if any of this matters, so forgive my wall of text, especially if it's all useless. My currently high school is VERY competitive, it's a college prep. I likely only got in it because of my location and where I was coming from.(For statistics purposes)</p>

<p>ACT: 29(33E, 26M, 29R, 28S) It's a little low, especially math, I'm retaking this month.
Class rank: Top 30% (My class size is over 1000 kids. Magnet school, 32nd in state(I think we're a lot better than that, just the test that they base the ranking off of, nobody tries on.) Public. Largely due to my Freshman/Sophomore year)</p>

<p>Senior Courses:
AP Psychology
AP Human Geography
AP Environmental Science
Honors Pre-Calc
Honors English
Honors Forensic Science
Percussion Band</p>

<p>ECs(weak, I was ignorant, too late now)
Band - only Senior year, section leader
Like 60 hours of volunteer
Tutoring at ethnic heritage centers
LOTS of stuff done at my old elementary school(I elaborated on the whole "giving back" thing in my essay. Also, I'm 3rd generation there)</p>

<p>My essays are awesome, I hired a professional to help.
Hook:My really high upward trend from Sophomore->Junior year->Senior year.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Purdue is definitely a school that loves an upward trend, at least that’s what I’ve heard from the admissions presentations that I’ve attended. And I feel like activities don’t play a huge role in Purdue admissions. I feel like your ACT isn’t too bad, and your GPA isn’t the best. But I’d say that you definitely have a chance at getting in.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback, made me feel a little better.
If anyone else can share opinions, that would be helpful.</p>

<p>Not sure if it’s on the application but you should mention that you don’t mind being accepted into the USP program if you can’t get into the FYE program. Personally, I don’t think your chances are that positive since your Math score is low. You also haven’t taken any Calculus classes yet other than Pre-Calc so you will probably be behind other FYE students imo. I believe you need to have MA161 and 162 and if you just took Pre-Calc in high school I’m going to say that you will most likely be in MA 153/154 or MA159… Why I say this is because I took Trigonometry and Pre-Calc myself but ended up in MA152 after my placement test and I did quite well in those classes as well… I feel as though the Admissions Office will take into consideration the math and science classes you took in high school if you apply to FYE or any other major that deals with a lot of math and science like CS.</p>

<p>If I was accepted into USP, I would be able to take the same(or nearly the same)classes that FYEs do, right? And then just transfer after the first year?</p>

<p>

Remember that most of the engineering majors are competitive and you’ll need to reach a certain college GPA to gain acceptance at the end of the first year.</p>

<p>Yeah, of course. I am confident that I’ll be able to do that. Right now I’m just worried about getting in the door.</p>

<p>Yes, you can still take the same classes as everyone else in FYE. The only classes that you MAY need an override for are ENGR131/132. You can always ask a FYE counselor for an override if necessary. </p>

<p><a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/Announcements/FYEPlan[/url]”>School of Engineering Education - Purdue University;
^ This website shows what classes you need for FYE and what GPA you need for the program you want to get into.</p>

<p>Thank you for all your help, Jim. If I get into USP that’s exactly what I’ll be doing.</p>

<p>I know this isn’t my thread, but thanks for that info. I was wondering about how to get into engineering from USP as well.</p>

<p>Check out this link as well, naturaldisaster.</p>

<p><a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/CODORequirementsforFYEP[/url]”>School of Engineering Education - Purdue University;

<p>Thanks. I’m just worried I won’t get into FYE.</p>

<p>At least you have a chance, haha. I don’t think my 3.2’s gonna cut it.</p>

<p>Have confidence mciasto! Purdue will recognize your latent genius and send you an acceptance letter. After that you can forget all about your HS GPA and start fresh. Good Luck!!</p>

<p>You’ll for sure into the university, mciasto. I know some people from my school who have had worse high school backgrounds than you get in last year, so you’ll def be into some program or another.</p>