FYI- A-G requirement info

<p>For those of you applying to both UC’s and CSUs, note the lab science requirement is different for each. </p>

<p>UC requires 2 year of lab from either bio, chem or physics. CSU also requires 2 labs but the lab requirement must be one from a life science (bio, Anat and Phys wi lab) and one physical science (chem, physics). So in order to cover yourself for both, make sure you have bio or anat/phys as one of your lab classes in HS.</p>

<p>Also, for OOS students. </p>

<p>Photo 1 in our school is listed in the Technology section of our course description book. They will not accept it as a VPA even though in Calif schools, they do accept photo. The course description even has the word art in it but they won’t accept it. If it had been listed in the art area, then they would.</p>

<p>I don’t think our California school can’t seem to use photography for VPA.</p>

<p>[University</a> of California - a-g Guide](<a href=“http://www.ucop.edu/a-gGuide/ag/a-g/vpa.html]University”>http://www.ucop.edu/a-gGuide/ag/a-g/vpa.html)</p>

<p>This is the link, art photography is accepted but it either has to pre-meet VPA requirements or if OOS, be listed in the art part of your school’s catalog as explained to me.</p>

<p>^^Not true. The UC-Cal State a-g requirements are exactly the same, when they were merged ~2001. You do NOT need anat/physiology for Cal State; bio/physics/chem will do, as will 3 years of Integrated Science.</p>

<p>You need one bio or life science for CSU and one physical science. The bio life science can be biology or anat and phys. </p>

<p>You do not need one of your lab sciences for a UC to be bio or life science. You can have chem and physics or AP chem or physics. 2 physical sciences meet the requirement. </p>

<p>If you are applying to both or just a CSU, one lab science in HS must be bio or other life science. I called both SJSU and Long Beach to confirm this, they said they know the UCs don’t require one of the sciences be bio or other life science. </p>

<p>You would not know this by just looking at the UC requirements alone. I think many students apply to both UCs and CSUs so it is just something to be aware of. </p>

<p>For those of us who are OOS, our schools are not so A-G programmed like CA schools. Interestingly, I also found out in North Carolina, all the schools also require that one science be life and one physical science.</p>

<p>Luckily, my son is currently a Jr so he can take a bio science as a senior but if you don’t plan ahead, you could miss this entirely.</p>

<p>oops, you are correct. The Cal States do require one year (of the two) to be a bio-type science, whereas at the UC’s one could become minimally eligible with just chem and physics.</p>

<p>OTOH, for the life of me, I don’t know why someone would pay OOS rates to attend a Cal State…</p>

<p>If you are interested in a program that the CSU actually make it to a top 10 list, then going to one is more attractive. For example Cal poly SLO has a top rated Architecture program. My son is interested in Industrial Design. Both SJSU and Long beach are in the top 20 list of that major. </p>

<p>We live OOS, but I am from CA and my entire family lives there so there is more motivation for us. Otherwise, I agree with you. For the money, there are many other more attractive schools that are not weighted down with the money woes of the CA school system.</p>