GA Tech CS vs UMD Honors with L&S

Thanks. Looking at these documents now.

He can still apply to the GT Honors LLC, if being in an Honors program is weighing in his decision. It’s not quite the same thing as the UMD Honors program, but it would give him a close-knit group of students right off the bat. GT Honors LLC students don’t get priority class registration, but they do get a designated dorm, designated ‘honors’ classes, and activities. https://learningcommunities.gatech.edu/

Does UMD Honors come with a priority registration? Some CS programs are notorious for being difficult when it comes to enrolling into specific classes. Both GT and UMD used to belong to this group and probably still do. Priority registration is usually one of the best perks of being in the HC.

And on the same note, would L&C limit his ability to sign up for some of the CS classes he may want to take now and that may be limited to cs majors only?

This is something new for me, so thank you for providing this pointer. I assume (I will look at the portal more later today) that applying to be part of the honors does not mean he has to accept the admission. If you know about this aspect, please advise.

My son is a 2nd year at GT, so this info is from two years ago. You’ll need to verify. But here’s how it works:

After you’ve been accepted to GT, you can apply to the LLCs. Each has its own application, including a short essay. You can apply to as many as you want. You don’t have to commit to GT before applying to LLCs. The Honors Program is one of the LLCs.

Then, you’ll be notified if you’ve been accepted to any of the LLCs. However, being ‘accepted’ doesn’t guarantee you a spot in the LLC. First, you have to commit to GT, and then ‘accept’ your offer from the LLC. This takes a day or two, as you go through the process. Then, you’ll get confirmation that you will be a part of the LLC, guaranteeing housing in their dorm, and participation in the LLC. If too many people accept their LLC offer before you do, you might still not get a spot.

You should still have plenty of time at this point - two years ago, my son didn’t commit to GT until mid-April and had no problem getting his spot in the Honors LLC.

I’d suggest submitting applications to any of the LLCs that seem interesting to your son now - there’s no commitment required. You can research which dorms house which LLCs, as well. This year, the Honors LLC dorm is apartment-style housing. Other LLCs are traditional two-person dorm rooms.

There’s also a small additional fee for the LLCs - I think it’s $400/semester.

I was very happy that my son was in the Honors LLC because it made a large school seem ‘smaller’ for him. I believe there are 200 freshmen/year in the Honors LLC, and it’s very easy to find like-minded friends within the group. They hold lots of events and outings for the students to get to know each other!

No. Priority is based on the number of credits a student has already completed. However, there are some courses - especially GenEds that freshmen take - that have honors sections and you get priority for those.

No. All the introductory classes have a mix of CS and L&S students

AP credit, at UMD, is included for purposes of registration priority

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.