Gaining Residency

<p>Hello,
I am out of state from Minnesota and I applied to UCSB this fall. Like the similar topic asking if it is worth the $50,000 a year for college, I would like to know if it really is impossible to gain residency if you enroll in a UC.</p>

<p>I have a few situations that I would appreciate your answers to about gaining residency. Do I gain residency in California and pay in-state tution if:</p>

<p>1) I live with either my grandparents or aunt/uncle (who both live in Santa Barbara) for one year while working and gaining my drivers license. </p>

<p>2) My parents move out this summer and I follow them. How long must you live in Cali to gain residency?</p>

<p>3) I attend UCSB as an OOS for a year or two and eventually my parents move out to SB. Can I gain residency?</p>

<p>Is there any chance for me gaining in state tution in my situation? </p>

<p>Here is a more detailed list of my situation. </p>

<p>My uncle/aunt and grandma live in SB in seperate homes. Eventually my family may or may not like to move into my grandma’s house whenever it becomes available. Is there any hope to gain residency?</p>

<p>I've heard it is difficult to just maneuver yourself into a CA residency. If you enter a UC as a non-resident, you will graduate a non-resident.</p>

<p>think you need to live here for 2-3 years to gain residency.</p>

<p>1) No. You would have had to be living with your relatives for at least 2 years prior to starting at UCSB. A driver's licence would not help. Or you would have to be completely financially independent - in other words, your job would have to be enough to pay your rent, food, gas, etc.</p>

<p>2) You and your parents must live in California for a full year before the residency determination date. </p>

<p>3) You cannot establish residency for tuition purposes while attending school unless you are also employed and earning enough to cover all your expenses - including out of state tuition - without any financial help. If your parents move to California with you, it is one year.</p>

<p>The details:
Establishing</a> California Residence for Tuition Purposes, Office of the Registrar
University</a> of California - Admissions</p>