Gameday advice?

<p>Just drove down to t-town from Chicago … 10 hours and 55 minutes! Got a good price at the Microtel just off University in Cottondale. Not too many amenities, but it’s new and clean. I don’t meet my daughter and her friends for dinner until after 6:30, so I have some time to kill and relax from the drive. Maybe a short nap! :-)</p>

<p>So … a couple things, are there any other CC’ers in town to see UA againt that powerful Georgia Southern team? I plan on getting over to campus nice and early in the morning to take in the festivities of the last home game of the season, and my first game as a UA dad.</p>

<p>Also, I need some help for tomorrow morning … parking ideas, etc. I’ll be driving into town west on University from the hotel in Cottondale.</p>

<p>Any help on where to park and what time I should plan on heading over there in the morning would be greatly appreciated. If I go early enough, I’d like to maybe have breakfast a Rama Jama’s. I don’t mind getting there early, since it’s just me, so suggestions on timing would be very helpful.</p>

<p>Thanks and Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Have you been to the Bear Bryant Museum? It’s located in the southeast area of campus.</p>

<p>Have fun.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>This might help: [UA</a> Gameday](<a href=“http://www.uagameday.com/football/parking-info.php]UA”>http://www.uagameday.com/football/parking-info.php)</p>

<p>We ate breakfast at Rama Jama’s over the LSU weekend. Great fun. </p>

<p>Make sure you have a crimson & white shaker for the game. Don’t want you feeling out of place. :)</p>

<p>M2CK … Yes, I’ve been to the museum, but thanks for the suggestion.</p>

<p>Coming in on University – as soon as you pass over McFarland overpass and have hospital on left, you must make a decision on turning left on Bryant Drive or continue on University. I turn left and park in Boy Scout ($20) lot just before band practice field/Moody Music Bldg. </p>

<p>If you continue on University you will have an opportunity to park in fields on right across from Moody Music Building (I think $20 also). </p>

<p>Closer to Quad etc. will get more expensive as you go and harder to leave from. It is a good walk from these areas. </p>

<p>If you get there early enough (sounds like you might), there is free parking between street and baseball park (must get over and off the sidewalk). You have to get over the curb, which could be diffibult depending upon vehicle.</p>

<p>Or you can pass through campus and park on other side of stadium (and I think closer to the Rama Jama’s)</p>

<p>BamaAF … Perfect Thanks. Help me understand what is considered “early” so I won’t have an issue with full lots? Thanks again.</p>

<p>Dad2ILD, We arrived about 3.5 hrs before game time and had no trouble parking in the city parking garage downtown (free) west of the stadium. It was about a 15 minute walk to campus. As we walked to campus, the pay lots were nearly empty.</p>

<p>Dad, DS has a house on the corner of 15th and Parkview directly across the street from Central High School. The kids park cars in the yard for $15. It’s about a 4 block walk to the stadium. They might even invite you to play a game of cornhole! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Dad, my recommendation for parking is the on/off-ramp from Campus Drive to McFarland Blvd. To get there, take University Blvd past the hospital and turn right on 5th Ave at the University Medical Clinic. Go all the way down to Campus Dr and right. Take another right unto the on-ramp to McFarland Blvd (right after the softball stadium). You can park on the grassy area off the gravel shoulder. You can walk all the way to the quad from there in about 20 min, but the Gameday shuttle makes a stop at the corner of Campus Dr. and 5th Ave (in front of the Rec Center pool). Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Dad, We followed NJ BAMA advice when we attended for parents weekend. We came into the area from the other side of the University were De Palma’s and the Mellow Mushroom are. We parked on a side street about two blocks from the Publics. It was a nice residential street and it was free. We strolled down University Avenue to the school, saw my son and continued onto the quad for fun and the game. We arrived around 10AM. The best part was after the game we were driving away from all the mess back to the hotel. I think you can also park in the lot on campus near Ridgecrest South for $30 bucks from the boy scouts. Now that is convenient.</p>

<p>Good luck, you will have a great time. My son is in the band and we loved watching them on the quad during the pep rally. RTR</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, it’s 8:15 AM and I’m chomping at the bit to just get over there. Since I’m coming from the East on University, I’ll probably look for one of the lots as close as I can get for not too much $$$, then over to Rama Jama’s for some coffee and breakfast. It’s sunny and beautiful out … remember in Chicago it’s already dipped into the 20’s at night last week … so even if it’s a little chilly right now, it’s warm-er than at home! Hope to have a wonderful day! Roll Tide Roll!!!</p>

<p>Hope you had fun Dad2ILD.</p>

<p>Just got back to the hotel … 13 hours later … what a great day! I think today was a bit more subdued than most, the crowds were less than normal on the quad and in the stadium. But the weather was mild and the game was good. Georgia Southern was a good football team offensively. The stadium and crowd were amazing. And I had a great time with my D and her friends. Now the 11 hour drive back to Chicago tomorrow. :-)</p>

<p>Glad to hear that you had a good day. Have a safe trip home.</p>

<p>I’m curious what route you take to get from Chicagoland to T-town?</p>

<p>^^^
Typical route would be south on I-65 all the way down…and then west on I-20.</p>

<p>There are really 2 routes, but the shortest is as m2ck said. 65 from Gary, IN to Birmingham, AL. </p>

<p>The other route is 57 south in IL to route 24 to Nashville to 65 South to Birmingham. </p>

<p>From Birmingham the route west to Tuscaloosa is the same as m2ck indicated.</p>

<p>It’s only an 11-hour drive between Tuscaloosa and Chicago? That’s less than I would have thought. It’s 14 hours between Tuscaloosa and DC and 10 hours between Tuscaloosa and Houston or Dallas</p>

<p>Yes, 11 hours between Chicago and Bama provided you don’t get stuck in Chicago traffic, which is better than DC traffic but not by a whole heck of a lot.</p>

<p>Having just done it twice last weekend, both trips weirdly enough exactly 10 hours 55 minutes. Now having said that, I chose my times very carefully. I left Chicago, northern burbs, at 4:00 am to not only avoid Chicago traffic but also Indy morning rush. On the trip home it was Sunday so no traffic at all. The speed limit almost the entire way is 70 and I set cruise at 75. Also I made the trip “man style” … Literally only 2 stops for gas, food and restroom. :-)</p>

<p>So, yes it can be done but it has to be planned well.</p>