GameDay Parking - Trip Report

<p>This is a trip report for the "gameday parking" thread I started a few days ago. I think I owe it to the folks who made the effort to offer advice to let them know what happened.</p>

<p>We arrived in Christiansburg at the motel about 4:00 pm, and didn't waste time heading out to Virginia Tech. I took chuy's advice and put the Tom's Creek Road address in my gps and followed it. Sure enough, right at the corner across from VT there was a Methodist Church offering parking for $10 and we took it. We ate at a Buffalo Wild Wings with a whole bunch of fired up VT fans. We made sure to get to Lane Stadium early enough to see all the festivities, so we saw the Corps of Cadets march into the stadium, the fireworks, the band, the bounce, all great stuff. Our seats were at the top of the East Stand, and it surely was cold, but the real problem was the strong wind that whipped through the entire game. No matter how much you have on, that's not pleasant. Folks started bailing out in the 4th quarter, and I'll admit we waved the white flag with about 7 minutes to go. Nonetheless, we had a great time at the game and my son enjoyed it and appreciated all the spirit.</p>

<p>I hadn't been able to register for a tour the next day, so we just took the map for the self-guided tour and started wandering through campus. This may have been for the best, because I was able to wander into buildings and stumble on interesting things. The auditorium in Burruss Hall is beautiful, like one of the old traditional theaters you can find in Boston. In Torgersen Hall, we discreetly stood in the back of a lecture hall for a Biology lecture; the class had a smattering of students in cadet uniforms, everyone had laptops open, some to the class lecture, others to facebook (I shrugged to my son; college students will be college students). The professor had a heavy southern accent and started the lecture with a few jokes and later wandered through the seating. We walked through the Student Center, the Bookstore and looked at the gyms and pool in the War Memorial. Since VT is famous for its friendliness, I decided to buttonhole random students whenever I had a question. They were uniformly friendly, polite and willing to help in whatever way possible. It's nice to see the orange and maroon on so many students.</p>

<p>We were registered for the engineering presentation and, later, a presentation by the ECE department. These two events were (for me) the most informative of the trip, more for what they indirectly revealed than for the specific content. The general engineering presentation was performed by a sophomore engineer, and it was kind of touching in its amateurishness. The screen was too small for her slides, so you couldn't see the bottom fifth of them. Many of the slides she couldn't really speak to, and kind of rambled aimlessly for a sentence or two and then admitted she couldn't say anything useful about the particular topic. She took questions after the presentation, and we ended up chatting with her for awhile and, later, walking across campus with her to Owens Hall to eat.</p>

<p>The reason I say the presentation was indirectly revealing is that many of the colleges here in New England put on very slick presentations; they are acutely aware of the heavy concentration of colleges here and compete hard for students. So you get information sessions and tours that have the flavor of professional marketing to them; the information is real, no doubt, but you definitely get the feeling you are getting the view of the school the school wants you to have. Slides that are cut off on the bottom don't happen, and student presenters are well-drilled in everything (from the perpetual smile and cheeriness to the answer to every possible question.) So it (perhaps ironically) gave me a good feeling that the engineering dept. would allow a student to present an amateur presentation to prospective students. It meant I wasn't just going to be treated to professional marketing. </p>

<p>The highlight of the whole trip was meeting with the EE dept., which turned out to be two senior students who had no specific agenda but were there to answer our questions. My son and I were the only two people in the session. Being an EE myself, I asked them a bunch of questions about the curriculum, the professors, etc. They were very transparent and forthcoming and sincerely excited about the program. One question I asked was about bad professors (every dept has them) and one of the students volunteered that one of his EE professors was terrible - unprepared, not interested in teaching, etc. This answer convinced me I was getting real dope from the students and not marketing. I believed their opinion that overall the instruction is excellent. They then took us on a personal tour of all the EE labs to which they had access. In the Power Electronics Lab, which was quite impressive in size and equipment, the lab director dropped what he was doing and gave us a 15 minute personal tour of the lab. I've never before seen this happen. In all, the two students spent close to two hours talking to us and showing us around. The fact that they didn't just go through the motions, or follow a set script, but were sincerely interested in showing us everything they could, for as long as it took, I found extremely impressive, especially as they were leaving for break as soon as we were finished. We got a lot of great information about co-ops, internships, projects, labs, general VT life, etc. from them. I had a positive impression of VT up till that point, but after the EE session, I can honestly say I was genuinely excited about the school.</p>

<p>My son's impression of the school was that the campus was more beautiful than he expected, the students very friendly, and the football game a blast. His one unexpected comment was that VT was more "southern" than he expected; this was neither good nor bad, just not quite in line with his pre-visit impression. But then he's never been out of New England for any significant period of time. I think he's fired up about it (hard to tell, he's always been very reserved).</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for your advice. VT is a great school.</p>

<p>Glad you all had a good time. I definitely recommend taking a walk around campus on your own in addition to a tour, but if you’re comfortable walking up to people and asking questions (and VT is friendly so there’s no problem with that) the tour isn’t really necessary.</p>

<p>As for the southern thing, Southwestern Virginia is a decidedly southern region. VT less so because of all of the different people that go there (and of course the army of students from NoVa that invade each year.) VT also attracts a lot of people via its well regarded ROTC, natural sciences, animal science, and engineering programs that are more… practical minded? I’m not sure if it’s the right word, but it’s a different culture than you’re going to find at a school that is more business/liberal arts/etc based. </p>

<p>Classes (in engineering at least) are extremely non-competitive in that nobody would even think to sabotage someone else’s project or whatever to help their grade. In fact as you get on to the higher level classes more are team-project based (in my experience) which prepares you for job interviews/jobs a lot better than anything else. We had one professor</p>

<p>dmt117-Thanks for posting such a great and detailed report.Sounds like you had a great visit and you definitely picked an exciting (although cold!) game to attend. My son is a very happy junior engineering major(industrial and systems) . He lives very close to that Buffalo Wild Wings you went to so we’ve been there a couple of times already. Good luck to you and your son with his college visits and decision! Virginia Tech is indeed a great school.</p>

<p>I think you might have walked into my friend’s biology lecture class with the same teacher as mine. That class is quite boring and the teacher isn’t that entertaining so a lot of people turn to Facebook. Was the professor a man that was kinda tall and had glasses?</p>

<p>He was tall and relatively thin, but I don’t remember glasses (he could have had them). Old (meaning at least as old as me - 48). Heavy southern accent but I suppose that isn’t unusual (!). The lecture was about meiosis and Mendel. It started around 10:00 AM.</p>

<p>Glad you had a nice visit. You could tell how windy it was when the football was rolling around the field prior to some of the snaps! I haven’t seen that before. One thing you reported that we felt also was the unexpected beauty of the campus. I remember driving away from our first visit being totally surprised by how picturesque it was as well as how well laid out it was. </p>

<p>I’ll have to tell a friend of mine about you seeing kids checking FB in class. He took his smarter than smart kid to William and Mary last year for a recruiting visit. His daughter sat in on a bio class while there and saw some of the kids checking FB. Totally turned her off- she couldn’t believe they were doing that in class and ended up at another school. </p>

<p>Best of luck with all of the decisions and excitement you both are going to be having! Maybe if he ends up in Blacksburg, you can visit and go to a Saturday game when it is nice and warm! :)</p>

<p>dmt117-I’m not sure you would find alot more profs with heavy southern accents at VT than most major universities. The professors seem to be from all over. Son just got home a couple of hours ago and I just asked him about it. The only prof he had with what he thought was a southern accent was his entomology professor(he loved that class- an elective about bugs-he had to keep a bug in a cup for a semester and take care of it). He has professors from Turkey and South Africa this semester but has no trouble with their accents. He is an undergrad TA this semester and the professor he is a TA for has undergraduate and graduate degrees from 2 different Ivy League schools. The professors do seem to be from all over. At least,that has been my son’s experience. Good luck!</p>

<p>sevmom when we were up to see our guy during Family weekend we were walking through a quad of some of the academic buildings. They were having a big “BugFest”- it was a riot. All of these booths about bugs…little kids everywhere in their glory. My daughter asked her brother about entomology. He said you see students walking around there all the time carrying their long handled nets and little bug houses. Don’t make fun, he told her, they take it very seriously! :)</p>

<p>KandKsmom, My son really did take it seriously . He had the class as a freshman and brought his bug (a milkweed) home for Thanksgiving to take care of it rather than leave it at school. He brought it home at Christmas also even after the class was over and released it in January outside our house before he went back to Blacksburg!</p>

<p>Yup! That was him. Oh Doctor Simmons. What a guy</p>

<p>dmt117 - I glad you and your son had a good trip to Blacksburg. My daughter is home this week for Thanksgiving and frankly, can’t wait to get back to school as much as she is loving being home here on the North Shore. </p>

<p>I think she would tell you that she doesn’t find the school very Southern at all. Naturally, there are loads of kids from Virginia, but on her floor there are girls from NH, MA, PA, GA, and Bolivia (that I can remember). Her friends from VA and GA may have somewhat different traditions and high school experiences (like Homecoming being a huge deal compared to Mass.) but discovering the differences has been fun for them. DD has taught everyone to describe everything as “wicked” and she’s added “dang” to her vocabulary. Its all part of the learning experience.</p>

<p>Its funny that your impression of the school was very much like mine. The initial contact/presentation was a bit underwhelming but the more you dig, the better the school looks. I was seriously reluctant initially about the school but we have nothing but good things to say now that she is there.</p>

<p>The “southern” thing wasn’t meant as a criticism, just an observation. A little bit of culture shock for my son who’s never really been out of New England, but it was all good. We sat behind four genuine good ol’ boys at the game and I thought it was great. What’s the point of going all the way to southern Virginia if you don’t want southern?</p>

<p>VT is his first choice college. Assuming he is accepted, the question for me/him will be how much of a sacrifice we are willing to make to go there. UMass is an excellent school, my elder son is very happy there, and the ECE dept has been impressive (so far - he’s a sophomore). Is it worth an extra 14K/year for VT, not to mention the time/cost of travel? And what happens if one of the private schools here in NE throws some serious money at him? All to be determined, but we are both convinced VT is a very nice option…</p>

<p>I registered just to answer your question, dmt117. Cost for Virginia state schools – even though they’re awesome academically – can be rough for out-of-state students. A lot of this has to do with in-state politics, state budget, blah blah blah but I do have a tip.</p>

<p>I’m a current VT student and I receive a hefty merit scholarship. The truth is, most people DON’T know about how merit aid works at VT. It goes entirely through the University Honors program, which your son has to be invited to apply to. If he has the stats to get invited in (GPA 3.8 and SAT 1350 out of 1600), definitely apply and apply to be considered for honors dorms. I live in one of the honors dorms and it’s a great experience, but it’s also the only scholarship dorms on campus. Basically, the freshmen recruiting scholarships are given through this program, and the money is guaranteed each semester as long as your child stays in University Honors. If you get into the program and don’t get offered the scholarship, call the Honors office and talk to them about it, there’s a potential to be flexible if it means the difference between your son going to VT and not going.</p>

<p>Lots of my friends from my dorm are from out of state for this very reason, and would be unable to afford it otherwise!</p>

<p>hokiegirl, that’s a great tip. He’s got the SAT but I don’t know about the GPA. Is that weighted or unweighted? How does VT calculate the weighting? I saw on the stats page that the average incoming GPA was 4.0, which means everyone’s getting all A’s, so it’s clear I don’t understand it…</p>

<p>but I guess we’ll find out if he’s invited to apply. If he’s not, then his GPA didn’t make it. He’s 3.53 unweighted.</p>

<p>They go off of your highschool weighted GPA. I’m not sure exactly how it works, but I think it’s something like one extra point for AP/honors classes.</p>

<p>dmt I loved reading your report as well and thanks for confirming my S first choice… An admission rep visited his school and told the students not worry about the 4.0 because that is weighted and reported by different high schools… She also said this could be 4.0 out of 5.0 or less… The school does their own weighting as well. We basically had chosen VT over PSU (our instate school) before the scandal due to the smaller size and we loved the southern feel. Engineering can be stressful and its nice to know the atmosphere is more chill. Im guessing its 7k more for us but we think its worth it. Its also 6 hours away versus 2.5-3hrs for PSU. Our original experience at Tech was organized and well delivered by the staff and students, but it was during spring break last year and they were doing alot of presentations. My S didnt really fall in love w school until our second visit this fall when we went to football game and met w/professors and he sat in on a class . What other schools is your S applying to?</p>

<p>He’s applying to the state school, UMass Amherst, and all the tech schools in the region (RPI, WPI, Clarkson, Stevens, NYU Poly) and Northeastern in Boston. I’m guessing he’ll get into most of these and we’ll see how much money any of them offer, if any. Since I just went through all this two years ago with my elder S, I’ve got a rough idea. Not kidding ourselves about anything like MIT. The only “outlier” he’s got interest in is VT.</p>

<p>It’s definitely a weighted 3.8!</p>

<p>Bandgy: we get a lot of people from Pennsylvania because I guess their in state tuition isn’t a lot less than our OOS. Also I wouldn’t call engineering “chill,” just non competitive and to a large degree collaborative. It’s still very hard, but worth it in the end.</p>

<p>Dmt, those are all pretty small schools, aren’t they? How does he feel about the small versus larger school?</p>

<p>Oh Chuy I didnt in anyway insinuate that VT engineering was chill … that’s exactly my point .engineering is very hard and I like the idea that the overall atmosphere (outside of academics) at VT is a bit more chill than some other schools. The added pressure of being in a stressful environment on top of having a hard curriculum would not be good for my S … he has a laid-back personality yet works hard academically .</p>