Gap year recruited athlete for Swarthmore worried about GPA

US Citizen
California
Public High School
White Male
Recruited athlete to high academic D3’s, mainly worried about Swarthmore though.
Intended Major: Econ/History
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
Unweighted/Weighted: 3.7/4.25
SAT: 1470
Class Rank: N/A
Coursework:
9 AP’s, 6 Honors
Took 7 AP Tests, got 4’s on 6

Awards: (super weak)
All-League High School Soccer
Seal of Biliteracy (Spanish/English)
National Honor Society Member (idk)

Extracurriculars: (also pretty weak)
Club Soccer: 13 Years, play at highest youth level, dedicate around 25 hours per week to the sport.
Chess Club (leadership position)
Summer camp (Leadership position)
Music Review Club (two years)
Black Student Union (two years)
Lived in Spain for six months in 2015. Studying abroad Spring 2024
Organized a week-long college trip for predominantly first-generation college students, on the East Coast.
PC Building and Troubleshooting, build and fix computers on my own.
40+ volunteer hours, mainly for soccer club
Will be working and participating in speech and debate at CC during first half of gap year, studying abroad the second half.

Essays:
Think they should be alright, i’m a decent writer.
Schools
Only really wanna know about Swarthmore and Claremont Makenna. Both coaches at the schools have expressed support. Going through a pre-read with admissions right now but am super worried about whether my application is good enough. I know that without the coach’s help I would have no chance, so I’m just wondering whether their support is enough to push me over the edge.

I’d say - you’ll find out soon.

5 Likes

This is ONLY a question for the coach, not for random CC posters! I know d3 soccer recruiting but not at those schools.

First off, the coach thinks you have a decent chance to pass the preread, or he wouldn’t have submitted one for you.

Once you pass the preread, you then need an offer from the coach where he says both that you have a spot on the team and that he will give you his full support with admissions. That’s the point at which you ask how many kids with his full support got turned down in the past 5 or 10 years etc.

Good luck!

10 Likes

The things you seem worried about - the awards, ECs, essay and LOR matter much less for recruited athletes because it is clear you devoted significant time to your sport and that the coach thinks you are an asset to the school.

GPA, rigor and test scores matter more. You will know results in the next few weeks and hopefully get an offer soon!

Good luck

5 Likes

Don’t undersell yourself - your EC’s are not weak at all plus you dedicated a lot of time to soccer. Good luck with the recruiting process and hope you find the right fit school and right fit team.

3 Likes

If this is the sport you are being recruited for, that is hardly a “weak” extracurricular.

Obviously, for a recruited athlete, performance and achievement in the sport is the important extracurricular; other extracurriculars are not particularly important.

4 Likes

Oh ok, that makes sense. I kinda had a hunch but was worried because of other applicants I was comparing myself to. Thanks for the response!

2 Likes

I appreciate that, thank you!

1 Like

Agree with the other posters that other ECs do not count so much when you are a recruited athlete. Grades, rigor and senior schedule are key. The preread will likely give guidance about whether to submit scores.

I know of a student athlete at Claremont who was a #1 recruit and that athlete’s rigor was not high given the competitive public high school they attended. I think a lot of latitude was given for that student because they were highly desired by the coach.

Good luck with the process!

2 Likes

What matters for EC’s is time commitment, not the number of different activities. If you are doing 25 hours a week of soccer and taking a rigorous courseload, no one expects you to have much more than superficial involvement in activities outside of your sport.

No clue on the overall chances, although I suspect the coach has a good idea. You are probably in the gray area in the middle or they would have shared their hunch with you I’m guessing. But I’m really just guessing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.