Gap Year

Hi, I didn’t get into any UC that I wanted to, even though I felt that my application was better than people I know that got in. (I think it was my poor choice in major).

I was wondering if it was okay if I took a gap year, working and saving money for college instead of going to a CC to transfer.

Thank you!

Also, I’d just reapply to a UC, sorry if that wasn’t clear.

You don’t give enough info to give concert advice.

It is a viable option but, expect UC admission to be equally (or more) competitive next year. Spend your year giving the UCs a reason to accept you. Be realistic though - it would be a shame to get shut out again next year.

If you have a bunch of AP credits, you might be able to spend the same year accumulating enough units @ your CC to transfer.

In the meantime- I’d encourage you to more seriously consider the UCs that accepted you.

Good luck.

NCal, what more information do you need? I’ll just ask another style of question maybe it will make more sense.

Can I just not go to a UC this year and apply for the class of 2020 instead, with the class of '16 Seniors?
Or do I have to go through the two years of CC or another UC and just wait to transfer instead of just doing another freshman application.

Thank you by the way :slight_smile:

I think what @NCalRent is saying:
If you take a GAP year, you cannot take any CC classes and reapply as a Freshman for next year. You could retake the SAT/ACT and strengthen your application with additional EC’s or work experience.

Or you can take your AP credits (if you have manY) and use them toward the 60 semester/90 quarter units, attend a CC for a year and try in transfer in a year.

Your major GPA/SAT, educational objective and any schools you were admitted to would help.

@gumbymom is correct, if you take any college level classes after HS, you will not be able to apply to a UC as a freshman. You will need 60 semester units to gain admission as a transfer. Many UC applicants have 18 or more units complete when they graduate high school. If you start there, take 6 units this summer, then 18 and 18 - you can TAG to a UC after just one - very intense year. Maintaining a 3.5 at that pace will test your mettle.

Alright, @NCalRent‌ your answer was written well enough for me to understand.

As long as I don’t enroll in any college I can reapply as a freshman this fall.

Thank you :smiley:

@NCalRent‌ , I have another question, if I go to UCSB, can I work super hard and take the 60 units and then transfer to a different UC later, if I don’t like UCSB?

You can transfer UC to UC as a Jr - there’s nothing as structured as TAG and CC applicants are given priority.

Nobody is asking you to settle in Santa Barbara for the rest of your life. If you really hate it, you can leave. UCSB is a very good school with a lot to like. I imagine it will grow on you. There are a wide variety of students - some into the party scene but, many aren’t.

Go take a look at the campus when school is in session. Talk to some current students.

Did you get in elsewhere?

@NCalRent‌ , I got into UCI and Waitlisted to UCLA, I was just asking this hypothetically. Just so I can scope out my options before I jump into the college scene.

Congrats, you’ve got some wonderful schools. Spend some time on each campus - one will feel more like home. Trust your gut.

Good luck.