Garcia Summer Program 2022

The same
When u need to let Garcia know??

1 Like

May 10.

Cool thx buddy

i’d say it depends on whatever research you’re looking for - both progs can offer super good options. iirc garcia research consists of team projects and the occasional independent project, so it might not be entirely fitting to submit into research competitions (if that was your plan). they do conference/paper publications, though.
i’ve also heard mixed opinions about bu rise - apparently some people are stuck doing menial lab work for grad students (or something along those lines). i’d wait a bit longer to see if rise matching comes out before may 10th because they’ll give you information on whoever you’re matched with (and you’ll hopefully be able to ask more questions). i’m not sure what your goals are, but as someone who got into garcia + matching for rise internship, i’d choose rise purely because of the independent research opportunity - and i think they’re roughly equal in terms of prestige

1 Like

Based on the following, Garcia is better than RISE. RISE should also be more expensive. Just FYI.
7:

ARML Tiebreaker Round; USAMTS Gold Medal; HMMT top 50
CMU SAMS; NIH Research; Iowa Writer’s Workshop; SUMAC; ROSS; SSP; Simons; PROMYS; Mathcamp; Garcia
State governors schools with acceptance rate <15% (PGSS, NJGSS, most other science governor’s schools)
USACO Platinum Division
ISEF Finalist
Top Team, YES Competition (Young Epidemiology Scholarship)
History Day National Level
Scholastic Art & Writing National Gold Medal. NFL Nationals (speech and debate) “breakers” (elimination rounds), Tournament of Champions (debate) “breakers,” Congressional Award Gold Medalist
International Public Policy Forum Top 64 team
Foyle Young Poet
US Senate Page

6:

(6.5) Google Code Jam Qualifier (Vast majority of Competitors are College students and professionals)
(6.5) Facebook Hacker Cup Qualifier (Vast majority of Competitors are College students and professionals)
USACO Gold Division
AMC 10 Perfect Score
Less competitive governor’s schools (Acceptance rate between 15% and 25%), any other scholarship summer programs not aforementioned
Congressional Award Silver Medalist; NFL Nationals; Tournament of Champions Qualifier
Science Bowl/Ocean Science Bowl/NAQT winners; Technology Student Association Nationals
FIRST Dean’s List finalist; Top 5 FIRST Super Regionals (FTC)
Scholastic Art & Writing National Silver Medal
State Science Fair Winner/Top Award (Depends on state)
Academic Decathlon State (CA) Honors Top 3
University-run poetry contests (Patricia Grodd Prize, Lewis Center at Princeton Prize, etc)
Very selective summer programs (acceptance rate 10-15%: TASS, UC Davis YSP, IOWA SSTP, BU RISE, UCSB RMP, HCSSiM, BOA Student Leaders, HSMC, Rockefeller SSRP, EFL, M&TSI…)

what the heck, why would you use that list for anything, it’s completely meaningless for comparing programs, a list made a couple years ago, that doesn’t take into account the dropping acceptance rates of RISE (sub 10%) and the fact that AO’s care more about what you did at a summer program and what you got out of it rather than “oh its ranked 7 vs 6” I’m sure someone with RISE (which is probably equal if not better due to their being more individual projects) who patented and published and had a spiky project, is better than a Garcia person who did nothing, and vice versa. it’s more about what you get about the program than what its ranked, and no one should EVER make a decision based on what number on that list it is.

2 Likes

agree w the user above, and that list leaves a lot to be desired (even if it is usable as a benchmark). the last YES competition was in 2011, and governor’s schools are somehow placed on the same level as ssp, and ross. i might be wrong abt the prestige difference between rise/garcia, but i definitely wouldn’t use that list to make your decision. rise is probably more expensive, though (garcia hasn’t announced housing costs yet iirc but i doubt final costs will surpass 8k)

at the end of the day, what do you want from the program? sts? isef? a publication? bu rise is for independent research, garcia more so team research. base your decision on that rather than some flawed list made during the pre-2011 stone ages

agreed

Anyone know the current acceptance rate for Garcia and how is compares to others?

Not sure, they haven’t disclosed it but from what I have heard from others it is definitely below 20 percent

did anyone still not receive anything?

Got an acceptance letter last night

I havent got anything yet.

Nothing here either

Hey i saw you at hspsp. Is that program cancelled? Wondering what happened to those admitted earlier before cancellations.does that early acceptance group still get to have it

I don’t think so. I think overall just everyone in the program, doesn’t matter when accepted, can’t go because the program is cancelled.

was ur deadline to respond also may 10?

Thanks buddy

@Felagund hear anything yet??

nope. gooseegg