Garry Jenkins announced as next President of Bates College

Congratulations!

4 Likes

Wow, he is super impressive. Very excited for what he will bring to the Bates community!

3 Likes

Oh wow!!! This is thrilling news! Congrats to Bates on nabbing the very best! I have met him in “real life” through a mutual friend who also went to Haverford, and he is just a really kind and down to earth person in addition to being BRILLIANT.

5 Likes

Fantastic hire by Bates! Haverford’s punching above its weight in the college president arena; the incoming president of Smith is also a Haverford grad who’s equally fabulous.

4 Likes

I have a hard time believing that anyone could be equally fabulous to Prof Jenkins, but I will take you at your word. :wink:

1 Like

I think this news is a credit to both Haverford and U Minnesota Law School!

Clayton Spencer is also spectacularly well qualified. Best wishes to her in her next steps!

3 Likes

Our family extends congratulations and a warm welcome to him! S21 is a Bates sophomore now and I was a bit anxious when Clayton Spencer first announced her departure. (Gah, things changing midstream!) But the selection of Garry Jenkins to lead the school and the Bates community into the next era is genuinely exciting.

It’s a great day to be a Bobcat!

5 Likes

His leadership is really incredible. You can follow him on Instagram. His outreach to the Bates community, especially in the aftermath of the Lewiston shooting, has been exactly what it should be. Looking forward to see what he does in the next few years for Bates. The students truly adore him.

2 Likes