Gay at UW-Madison?

<p>Hello, I will most likely be attending UW-Mad next year. My question is that as a gay male, what is it like at Madison? Are students generally open to people of differnt orientations? I have lived in the city of Chicago all my life and I am lucky that I have not had any major problems with homophobia, living in such a liberal place. I know that Madison has a reputation for being liberal, but what is it like in reality? Are other straight males generally accepting and friendly towards gay males? Have there been hate crimes? Also, generally what is the nightlife like?</p>

<p>Thanks so much for helping me out.</p>

<p>I think you will find an active scene.</p>

<p>A very large gay population. Even the conservatives, I've found, are very tolerant. Further, there is a large LGBTQ center/group on campus. There was an incident at a dorm this year, but the VAST majority of students spoke out against it and that shows the general mindset of UW-Madison.</p>

<p>Nightlife is what you want. I have some gay friends who go to various clubs and bars, but the LGBT society ("10% society") holds many events too, including a campus wide dance.</p>

<p>yah, i agree - a very large gay population, though i'm not sure why. I once heard a stat that madison has the largest concentration of gays in the country. If its not true, then I'd put it in the top 3. Again, i'm not sure why so many are here in Madison.</p>

<p>Yeah.. I've heard something like that too.... only not for the whole country, just for the Big Ten Conference (UW has the largest and most prominent on campus gay population).</p>