General Advice on Interviews.

<p>About the interview: it may be very hard for "pre-med types" to face a challenge like the interview without a script to study, but alas, there is no script. The purpose of the interview is not to test your knowledge, but rather to assess intangibles such as character and dedication. Most interviewers will keep the tone very friendly and low key, asking open ended questions that will allow you to expound about yourself at will. These folks are bright people and they have seen lots of applicants, so you're not going to fool them. Be well dressed and groomed, relaxed, polite, relatively humble and very honest. Make good eye contact. Stay on point when you're asked a question and try not to ramble. Don't challenge your interviewer with a question for each question they ask you; this sometimes occurs when applicants have been told by someone outside the process that they are there as much to interview the school as to have the school interview them.... that just isn't so.
You will of course be given an opportunity to ask any questions you might have before the interview ends. In general, a comment such as "I don't have any questions at this time but from what I've seen, heard and read, I would really like to come here for Medical School" is worth more than most any question you might ask. Good luck!</p>

<p>what are some of the questions they might ask?</p>

<p>DO they ask any political questions? or ethical questions?</p>

<p>i'm wondering the same thing..</p>

<p>do they really ask about HMO's, malpractice, abortion and such things? it doesn't seem quite appropriate for a college interview but then again who knows</p>

<p>anyone? (especially for boston...my interview's VERY soon)</p>

<p>also...not to steal anyone's ideas...but what original things can u say for why u want to go into medicine?...havent they heard it all?...i'm sure they dont want to hear "i wanna help people" over and over again</p>

<p>confused and worried :(
please help..thanks</p>

<p>collegefreak,
I am telling you my son's experience with RPI/AMC. I have one son already in the RPI program and other one is a sr. in High school right now and had interview with RPI last week. Albany Medical strees more on Ethical questions such as abortion, etihcal issues with stem cell research. They also askd about HMO.</p>

<p>examples of question types and answers can be found at <a href="http://www.futuredoctor.net%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.futuredoctor.net&lt;/a>. There used to be a website called <a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.interviewfeedback.com&lt;/a> which had lists of all US and Canadian med schools and updated questions asked but now I think it was moved to the Student Doctor Network. I used to see interview questions on <a href="http://www.mcat-prep.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.mcat-prep.com&lt;/a> but it looks like they closed the discussion board.</p>

<p>But the political might be more true of my friends who listed political organizations (antiwar, etc) on their resumes. None of this hurt them, they still got into great schools - UPenn, NYU, Yale.</p>

<p>u got any information on RICE/Baylor and the questions they ask?</p>

<p>i have an interview for the siena/amc program ..i was wondering teh type of questions they might ask....anyone knnow?</p>

<p>it seems to me that nobody knows and that everybody just wants info</p>

<p>haha right on, and im here to continue with our pathetic attempt to get ourselves into medical programs: my interview for union/AMC is MONDAY. kinda crappin my pants right now. does anyone know questions tht AMC would ask? some help would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>why were some of out posts deleted? thats bs</p>

<p>sergio, there was a server problem and they had to track back the entire server to a few days ago so all the recent posts got deleted.</p>

<p>oh ok...i was thinink they just got bored and decided to delete posts for no reason. ic</p>

<p><a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/index.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.studentdoctor.net/index.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>go to Medical School Interview Feedback</p>

<p>what type of HMO questiosn do they ask?</p>

<p>Maybe some of you can give me feedback on this.</p>

<p>On studentdoctor.net, I've seen quite a few people who reported being asked about the biggest hardship in their life. I have been quite privileged; my parents have always been supportive, I have done well academically and socially, and I am not disadvantaged. The honest answer to the question is that my parents disapprove of my choice for a fiance, and this is something difficult that I am still dealing with today.</p>

<p>Do you think that it is appropriate to give this honest answer? I suppose I could discuss how it has affected my priorities in life and the way I view who I am. Or, should I discuss a much less severe "hardship" (such as being teased in class or something)?</p>

<p>It is always appropriate to give an honest answer</p>

<p>Even for this question, stay honest, so long as you come off as very humble in answering the question. Continually say that you've been lucky or blessed to have a fairly comfortable life, that you're parents had worked very hard to give you the opportunities that you had received and that you recognize that there support has been very vital to you, and you know that you've received advantages that other individuals have not, and you are well aware of that. From there a seque into how if you had to pick something that has been very difficult for you recently is your fiancee situation. Explain about how you have dealt with this and how you hope to resolve it, and then close with a statement about how you realize that your situation is somewhat trivial compared to those encountered by others. </p>

<p>You really can't fight your own past, and if they hold the fact that your parents were successful against you, I'm not sure what you can really do in such a scenario.</p>

<p>Thanks - I appreciate that advice. Sounds like a good idea.</p>

<p>Hey ppl, just asking as a general question (and not really realted to this topic- interviews,) but ppl when study really hard in medical school and become a doctor, does anyone think that they may not be able to apply all the scientific knowledge learnt, under pressure in a life-critical moment. what do the other people think? I'm particularly interested in hearing from juniour doctors, who have already graduated from medical school. </p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>P.S Im a student from the UK, and 16 years old thinking about becomign a doctor.</p>