General Education Requirement Question

<p>I know that part of the general education requirements is to take a history course. I had looked at taking HY 101 or HY 102, but saw that SW 200 also has an HI designation. I wanted to take SW 200, just because I find its description more interesting that either HY 101 or 102. However, when I put this into the “Look Ahead” portion of Degree Works, it isn’t showing SW 200 as fulfilling the HI requirement.</p>

<p>Is Degree Works just incorrect, or is it that I have to be a Social Work major (which I’m not) for it to satisfy the requirement? (I’m already completing a 6 hour sequence for the L requirement).</p>

<p>Since it is on the list, and there is nothing in the course description about needing to be a SW major to get credit for that course, then it should count as credit. It might be giving you the three credit hours, but keep in mind that there are more than three necessary to fulfill the entire requirement for that category. So it maybe including that class as three hours, but you will still need 6 (or however many, not sure) more to meet the entire requirement, and it would therefore not show the entire history/social science category as fulfilled. Check to make sure that you are not confusing that. </p>

<p>Also, this is a little off topic, but I’d encourage you to think about the fact that you need a sequence of either history or literature. So if you will not be taking two of the literature classes that will qualify as a sequence, then you will have to take HY 101 and 102 to get your sequence.</p>

<p>Call the registrars office. That class may be restricted to sw majors.</p>