General Engineering or try to Transfer in Later?

Hey guys I’m currently a senior in high school and will soon be submitting my ED application to Virginia Tech, the problem is I’m second guessing myself on whether I should apply for general engineering like I planned to, or choose one of the undecided majors. Engineering is harder to get into to begin with, but the fact that there is no longer a second major option makes me concerned that I might not be accepted to Tech at all. Should I go ahead and risk it, or apply for an undecided major and hope to transfer into engineering later on, if that is even possible. I’ve also read about how transferring internally is becoming harder to do and you might not even enter the major you want if there isn’t an open space.

My Stats:
GPA - 4.12 W
SAT - 1430 (combined)
Extra Curriculars - Nothing special or standout (a few clubs, sports team for 2 years and a job)
I go to a high school in SW Virginia (if that matters)

I really want to go to Virginia Tech but one of the main reasons is their engineering program, it would be a bummer if I couldn’t go straight into engineering. Any advice is appreciated.

Tbh with the new system I’d go for engineering and if you dont get in, go to cc and go guaranteed admissions. If you come in an try to transfer, the process takes a year and like you said, there’s actually no guarantee youd even get in if you were eligible. At a certain point you have to decide if it’s more important for you to go to VT or be an engineer and base your decision on that.

Your SAT is probably good to go.

2017 mean SAT for CoE - 4.11
2017 mean SAT University Wide - 3.97

2018 full stats aren’t available, but avg. GPA is published as 4.06 university-wide. If you assume similar bump on CoE then their avg, could have been 4.2 for 2018 freshmen.

Transfer stats for 2017 show 43.3% admission. It’s unclear whether that includes internal transfers.

https://www.ir.vt.edu/data/student/admissions.html