General engineering student: chances of getting into computer science?

howdy,
I am a freshman enrolled in general engineering, i had a rough first semester and ended up with a less than ideal 2.2 gpa. I got Cs in both math 151 and chem 107 and a B in engr 102. I have never really thought about any other majors other than computer science, but it seems exceptionally difficult for me to get into the cs department as of now. i still have a semester ahead of me and if I do well within my capacity, i could probably get my gpa above 2.8 which is still not enough. I was wondering if there was anything I could add to my etam application that could improve my chances of getting in.

@AggieWithoutAid best to talk with an advisor. that’s what they are there for. They will also look at your essay. Make sure the other 2 choices are ones you can live with. Don’t want to be stuck with a major you do not like. But in the mean time, bust your butt on your GPA. My son just completed his first semester with a 2.5. but he is not looking at computer science. First semester is hard because of all the adjustments. but TAMU Engineering is ranked high for a reason. Lots of competition.

@AggieWithoutAid
Work your tail off and show improvement. Go to office hours. Show your willingness to go above and beyond. Set up a visit with the major department.
Those below 3.5 have gotten in. Talk to the specific department that you want to be one of those, then work hard for the spot. First attempt at ETAM is your best shot. After that, subsequent attempts Depend on space and qualifications the department wants, no matter your GPA.

Third semester ETAM applicants got major decisions last week and many mighty unhappy. Denied all preferred majors and offered the technology degrees instead of an engineering degrees or engr degrees that aren’t of interest. They can decline these offers and try again in April, their last attempt, but will be up against first time ETAM-ers, who get priority over second and third timers.