General UW Questions

Hello all-

I would like to introduce myself, as this is my first post on College Confidential!

My name is Will, and I am a Junior from a small, public high school in rural Maryland. Last week, my family and I flew out to see the University of Wisconsin, and following the visit, I instantly knew that it was the perfect school for me. Everyone has always said to me that during the college visit process, you’ll see a school that you know is “the one”. UW’s location, community, athletics, and academics have sold me. Although we still have a few more schools we plan to visit, it seems unlikely that this feeling will be replicated.

Anyways, to the questions!

First of all, are admission standards higher for OOS students? In addition, how often are merit-based scholarships given to OOS students?

Next, how big is Greek Life on campus? It was quickly mentioned on the tour (as no one indicated interest), and the guide stated that about 10% of the student body participates. Many colleges are known for downplaying its actual popularity, and I’m curious if this is the case at UW.

Finally, is the weather actually as bad as advertised?

Thanks to everyone in advance for the assistance. I’m so glad to finally be a part of the CC Community!

The UW doesn’t have much to offer in terms of merit aid. The Kemper Knapp is a scholarship for NMF, but they have priority for in state students and It is only for one year.

The weather is great – cold but sunny in the winter.

We had our first snowfall overnight - several inches, though the forecast for Thanksgiving is 50 degrees!

Don’t count on any merit aid - most Wisconsin residents font get any either.

For the last cycle, about 67% of Wisconsin residents who applied were accepted as compared to an overall admit rate if 49%. So clearly, the non-resident admit rate is lower than 49%.

I was born in Baltimore and grew up near Bel Air. I’ve lived in southern MN for 23 yrs about 70 north (based on longitude) of Madison. It does get cold, but it is not bad as long as the winds are low. I have not yet experienced a snowstorm like the ones in MD where 36 inches fall in 1-2 days. More likely to get 3 inches here and 6 inches there, but snow stays. A common saying around here is there is no bad weather just bad gear. People trade water skis for cross country skis and ATV gear for snowmobile gear. Madison is about the same longitude as Boston so it will be cold, by not like International Falls MN or northern Maine.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere collegedata.com reports 3.8% of freshman receive merit only aid packages averaging <$4K. I am also fairly certain that unlike places like American University and Purdue, you will need to apply for merit aid. You will not be automatically enrolled.

30,000 students apply, 15,000 are accepted, and 6,000 or so choose to attend. If ~70% of WI residents are accepted then the OOS acceptance rate has to be in the 30% range. I think it is 43% or so for MN residents.

My daughter initially refused to even consider Madison (too close to home). Finally talked her into unofficial tour on way home from engineering summer camp at Purdue. She fell in love with campus and is awaiting her notification. I know one local student who thought it was too big, but everyone else who has toured the campus has loved it.

As a current student, Greek life is as big as you want to make it. Parties are frequent on the weekends, but there’s not a huge pressure to go to them, especially if your friends aren’t into greek life. IMO frat parties aren’t that fun, but I’m not a party person anyways so my view is a little skewed. Regardless, if you don’t choose to be involved in greek life/frat parties, there are plenty of events and places to explore in Madison that are just as fun and satisfying.

I will say that if you do get accepted, you should definitely research the pros and cons of Lakeshore v Southeast dorms when you’re picking housing, because your location can be a huge determinant of how big the party scene feels. As a non partyer, I find Lakeshore to be wonderful and perfect, but I’m sure others might find it a little too quiet on the weekends.

For 90% of the students Greek life doesn’t matter. Most Greek houses are on private land to the east of campus, easy to ignore.

Do not count on merit aid, unlike some public U’s.

Weather- I like the gear comment. Winters include sunshine and snow. Conducive to staying indoors and studying. Then there are fun things one can do- traying (sledding) campus hills. Snowball fights. You acclimate to weather- hot and cold. They clear streets and sidewalks quickly. Colder weather means snow not icy conditions seen with freezing rain. I think it can be better than enduring the heat and humidity of places south as well.

Parent of current OOS UW student who is in greek life, so can add a few thoughts. Admission for out of state students is absolutely more selective than for instate, because the University’s mission is primarily focused on its own students. Still, a strong student, for instance, 3.7 unweighted gpa and a 30 ACT, should reasonably get in.

Greek life is about 10% participation, maybe less. That means, for about 2500-3000 students, greek life is the way their social (and community service, and often rec sports) life is organized. But for the rest of the 25,000-28,000 undergrads, it matters not at all. Although we were not thrilled about it, greek life has been a good experience for our student, a very specific way to shrink campus. His gpa is quite strong, and most of his friends are very good students as well.

Good luck, UW is a wonderful place, my son has had phenomenal professors and loved every minute of the experience.

My bad. 8% of freshmen receive merit only aid not 3.8%. 512 out of 6264 freshmen.

Clarification of my post above, #6. In case it isn’t apparent from the context, I meant that the University’s mission is primarily to in-state students. And that, a strong OOS student, such as 3.7 unweighted and 30 ACT, should get in.

This accounts for up to 200 of the 512 students who received merit:

Up to the top 140 incoming Wisconsin resident freshmen automatically receive the one-time $400 William F. Vilas academic merit scholarship award.

About 60 students (must be Wisconsin residents who are National Merit Finalists and designate UW as their first choice) receive the Kemper Knapp scholarship (2 semesters of resident tuition and fees).