Geneseo and Community College Credits

<p>Our local NYS community college has gotten very aggressive within the past two years in selling the notion of taking courses during the junior and senior year of high school for which "college credit" will be granted if you pay the college a fee. These courses include pre-calc, Calculus I, English Comp and English Lit. The implication has been that these credits will be accepted at SUNY 4-years and a diligent student may use them to graduate in 3 1/2 years or less. </p>

<p>While I think the question of transferability to other SUNYs is generally true, I have also heard that Geneseo is a little more particular about which credits they will accept and may not grant credit. Can anyone shed some light on this question?</p>

<p>Geneseo is alright about taking credits, but they are a little picky. Some things (sciences, math, history) are really easy to transfer, but less cut-and-dry (for lack of a better phrase) subjects are harder to get accepted. I can’t say what the situation is for other English classes, but the freshman English writing course is almost impossible to get out of, either with transfer credits or some other route. If you’re careful about what you pick and maybe ask the school what they would be willing take you should be able to transfer at least some of those classes. Almost all freshmen come in with at least a few credits (usually somewhere in the 15-20 range); the highest number I’ve heard of is around 40 or 50 credits.</p>