Geneseo Fast Facts...

<p>Student profile, Medical School Acceptance Rate, student satisfaction etc.....</p>

<p>Many questions are often posted on this site regarding these topics so I figured I would just link to this site which may be helfpul. </p>

<p>Fast</a> Facts | SUNY Geneseo</p>

<p>I’m new at all of this and don’t understand something. On Geneseo’s facts page it says 10,131 applications and 935 enrolled.</p>

<p>Does that mean that their accept rate is around 9% ? I must not be understanding something because that would put them above Princeton and Vassar for selectivity. Also, the Kiplinger ranking says Geneseo has an accept rate of 37% so I must not understand the numbers.</p>

<p>Help…</p>

<p>“enrolled” not “accepted”…two different things.</p>

<p>Not everyone who gets accepted enrolls. So, if they had 10,131 applicants, and a 37% acceptance rate, then 3,748 were sent letters of acceptance. Of those, 935 chose to enroll. Their yield, therefore, is about 25% (a quarter of people who get accepted end up going there).</p>

<p>ChirsV2 - there are actually 2 percentages involved here. The Geneseo acceptance rate is around 37%, which means if there were 10,131 applications, then about 3,749 were accepted. But not everyone who accepts actually enrolls, because students apply to several (or many) schools and then have to choose one if they get accepted to 2 or more of them. So you have what is referred to as the yield rate, which is the enrolls/accepts. In this case, the enrolls/accepts would be (935/3749)X100 = 25% yield. For comparison, Harvard’s yield is around 76%.</p>

<p>The enrolls/applied percentage (9%) is not as meaningful a quantity, because it doesn’t say anything about the actual acceptance.</p>

<p>cross posted with vassargrad</p>