Geneseo from New York City...is it worth it?

<p>I am currently a high school senior and I am really considering going to SUNY Geneseo. I already applied there so I'm waiting on my decision. The thing is...IF i get in, is it worth it for me to travel that far upstate for it? I come from a very conservative Asian family and NO ONE in my family left home for college. So if I DO get into Geneseo and I decide to go, I'll be the first in my entire family to dorm for college. But I just want to know, is Geneseo as prestigious as people say it is? How are the dorms like? I come from a very low income family, so do they give a lot of financial aid ? Also, I am from New York City...Queens, NY to be exact. Is there an easier way to get to Geneseo? Like instead of my parents driving me. Because I researched it, and it takes like 5 hours to get there! x_x</p>

<p>Personal stories are welcomed! :)</p>

<p>Well Geneseo is my first choice and I had the pleasure of visiting a few months back. I would definitely recommend it. As far as academics, it's supposed to be one of the more challenging of the SUNY schools and I know my English teacher who went there years ago mentioned how studious her classmates were.<br>
The dorms were also quite nice, I got to look into one of the model dorms and the room size looked quite good. A few kids could end up with three in a room but that is supposed to be rare. Other than that the dorm seemed good and it's supposed to be an amazingly safe and friendly place. </p>

<p>Finance wise, being a SUNY school and you living in NY I imagine you'll save quite a bit of money going there. Though I have very little knowledge in this area. </p>

<p>Ummm....bus? The area seemed nice, maybe your family would enjoy the drive up together for a visit. Sorry I can't help or say much more but from what little I know I would go to Geneseo.</p>

<p>You should definitely visit the school to get a feel for it and for the surrounding area. Coming from NYC, you may find the location a bit isolated. Visit as soon as you can so you can decide if it's a fit for you. Have you researched SUNY New Paltz? It's much easier to get to from NYC and it is becoming quite selective. They're both very good schools. It comes down to which would be a better fit for you. Visit first, then decide. Good luck.</p>

<p>Hi there,</p>

<p>I am currently a junior at Geneseo, and I am from downstate as well (Long Island). Geneseo is definitely a very good school for the money you're paying (significantly less than you'll pay at any private college)! It's getting more and more difficult to get in to, and all of my classes are very challenging. To be honest, I don't think it's really important how "prestigious" a school is-- I feel like I am getting a great education, despite the fact that no one from outside NYS has ever heard of Geneseo. As for financial aid, they don't award very much merit-based aid or scholarships since tuition is so low already. I think they will award need-based aid though. It's definitely a good bargain, even if you have to take out some loans.
To answer the rest of your questions:
- Dorms are actually pretty nice, for a public school. Some are old or out of way, but overall residence life is pretty good. Most of the freshman dorms are on the far end of campus, so it's a bit of a hike to get to classes (not too bad really, as the campus is actually relatively small), but you do get to meet a lot of other freshmen that way. As you move into sophomore year there are suite-style buildings where you can live with a group of friends, which is a lot of fun. By junior year most people live off campus, which in many cases can turn out to cost less than a dorm. There are also townhouses for upperclassmen, which have single bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, etc, but it costs more to live in those than a regular dorm.
- It's actually not too difficult find transportation to and from Geneseo. I am from downstate as well, and for my first two years I didn't have a car. You can fly from Rochester to LaGuardia or JFK (for breaks, the school runs a free shuttle right from campus to the airport), or take Amtrak from Rochester. Also, for each break, the college runs 3 buses downstate: one to Madison Square Garden, and one to Nassau county and another Suffolk county on Long Island. The bus usually costs about $90 round trip, and sells out quickly, but it's an easy way to get home and I've done it several times. Also, you will most likely meet people from the city or Long Island and you can figure out carpools with them. A sizable amount of students come from downstate, so you're not alone!</p>

<p>Smljk02</p>

<p>I pm'd you</p>

<p>i actually have a question too.
i'm currently a freshman in college but looking to transfer to geneseo.
do i have to live on campus my sophomore year?</p>

<p>Hi:
My daughter just made it into Geneseo. We really can't afford an expensive pvt. college and we were very happy when she made it into Geneseo, but my daughter is really anxious because it is so far from home (Westchester County). Is it a friendly place? Does the isolation drive you crazy? Do people take trips up to Rochester? What about getting her a inexpensive car? </p>

<p>Help</p>

<p>The only way to get the answers to your questions is to go for a visit ASAP. Get a feel for the campus and the surrounding area. Never make the decision to attend a college without first visiting the campus once or twice.</p>

<p>CJMSOLA - I agree go visit. I knew the day I walked on campus this was the place for me. I am from Long Island and never felt "isolated". Geneseo's town is truly a college town it is definitely not a big city. I always felt there was plenty to do on campus and yes many students either by car or bus do head into Rochester once inwhile. I never felt this need to have to be in Rochester every weekend because there was enough to do on campus. At Geneseo is not a rare event to find students some weekends needing to study for a good part of the weekend.</p>

<p>well. I think we do have the same situation now.
I am from an Ansian family too. I lived in Brooklyn.</p>

<p>I got accepted through the EOP program and i deicide to take this challenge. Since my family dosen't have a car, i have to find a way to get the campus. What i know is that the college dose provide free summer bus to the campus. However, the seats are limited to 50. In that case, i have to send all the required form ASAP.</p>

<p>Hope this could help you.
Ps. Hope you get accteped so that we may meet each other in the capus. ^_^</p>