GENESEO or VASSAR?

<p>I did not visit Vassar College, even after getting in because it was pretty clear that my parents wanted me to go to Geneseo, a state school, for financial reasons. In this last week of deciding, I'll be visiting this Tuesday.</p>

<p>Our EFC is around $30,000.</p>

<p>Vassar gave me $18,000 in scholarship money.
Geneseo gave me nothing, as it costs around $18,000 with room and board.</p>

<p>My parents love me .. almost too much. I had decided on Geneseo for them -- and I like the school. It just does not have the prestige that I guess I always dreamed about and it is 6 hours away from home (I live in Long Island, New York).</p>

<p>I attend a private Catholic school on a half scholarship - so we pay $3500 here. Next year, my brother will be a freshman in here and so that will be $7000. My sister is currently in Catholic elementary school. I am the brightest of the three and parents have told me that because of my potential and intelligence that it would "all be alright" if they sacrificed and sent me to Vassar.</p>

<p>It's still my decision in the end. I've already gotten used to the idea of Geneseo -- I have a few friends coming with me, I've been chatting online with some accepted students. I've worn my shirts around school proudly.</p>

<p>I am an Asian American female. First generation. I have a weighted 101+ average and I'm in the top 2% of my class. I guess that it's been expected of me to go to a "big name" school but I know that fit is most important. I'm scared that Vassar won't fit, and I'm also scared that it might be too competitive maybe and that coming from a middle class family, I wouldn't really fit in with the student body.</p>

<p>I am an undecided major, but I have been considering English secondary education. I am passionate about theatre and would like to pursue a minor in it or at least perform in student productions. I would make the most of wherever I go.</p>

<p>Please give me your honest opinions.</p>

<p>You shouldn't feel pressured just because your parents want you to go to a college. The only way to truely evaluate how you'd fit in is if you visit the campuses, go check out Vassar and see what you think. It is a better school than Geneseo, so if you like it, you should go there. If Geneseo is your fit then you certainly cant go wrong with it!</p>

<p>Vassar is awesome. I know someone who goes there and absolutely adores it. Great atmosphere, great academics,etc.</p>

<p>Vassar > Geneseo</p>

<p>But they are both great schools.</p>

<p>I'm a student at Geneseo and i just want to let you know that it's great and you will fit in! I know that it's not a big name like Vassar but i guarantee you that the work is not easy. Also not to generalize, but I live with an asian long islander, and she loves it here. She transferred from Ithaca and has found a great group of friends with who shes feels really happy and comfortable. You will love it here i promise!</p>