Geneseo -- Political Science Program?

<p>Hello I am just got admitted to Geneseo, and I am strongly considering going there but I am not to sure how prestige their Political Science program is ... I understand it's a "bang for your buck" but I want to know maybe from somebody who is currently attending the school how the political science program is, and what type of school in general it is (majoring wise)? I want to go to Geneseo but all I have been hearing is bad things about the political science program their ... Any suggestions? Btw I applied only to Sunys'</p>

<p>I’m a Geneseo Class of 2011 grad here. I majored in Poli Sci and all I can say is it may not be as prestigious as the science departments or the business school, but the caliber of students are as good as any. Poli Sci Alums have gone on to great law schools and are quite active in Washington DC scene. The Political Science Club plans annual trip to DC for alumni networking purposes. The Geneseo Model UN has gone on to compete at top competitions. Considering you’ve only applied to SUNY schools, Geneseo is your best bet if you are concerned about quality and prestige. More importantly, the liberal arts curriculum will better prepare you into a more well rounded person should you enter into a career in politics or law.</p>

<p>I am really considering Geneseo, but it is just I consistently hear horrible news about the Political Science department i.e lack of funding, lack of students … I’m not sure if those are just rumors or petty gossip. Geneseo due to your experience seems like a blast. Can you tell me more in depth about the caliber of students, professors, and the reputation of political science in the school. Also is there double majors? And how good is the business program their? I’ve only heard about the science program …</p>

<p>I would suggest that you look at the bios of the faculty vs. Binghamton and Stony Brook. Clearly, the backgrounds of the faculty at Geneseo lags the other two schools. From a quantitative perspective, Stony Brook is a top school and its Ph.D. program is excellent. The faculty at Binghamton is very impressive and the department is well funded.</p>