Geneseo vs HWS

<p>I got a 2k scholarship from geneseo and 15k FA from HWS, so I should pay 19k for geneseo and 30k for HWS. So is HWS worth 10k extra ?</p>

<p>elwe -- Based on your statement that you will need to pay 19K for Geneseo (plus a 2K scholarship) I am guessing you are an out-of-state student? If that is correct, how do you feel about attending a college where you will be one of only 50-100 students out of nearly 6,000 students who do not hail from NYS, mainly upstate NY? (Not including internationals)</p>

<p>Hobart & William Smith has a more geographically diverse student body, with nearly 55% of the students from OOS. On the other hand, Geneseo is the more selective school, and arguably more challenging academically. I would suggest that for a NY resident, who is concerned about cost, Geneseo is the better choice. For an OOS student with minimal financial concerns perhaps HWS, which is a more traditional LAC, might be the prefered option. In between it gets murkier.</p>

<p>In fact, I am an international student..as you say,in between it gets murkier.</p>

<p>PS:30k for Minnesota, 30k for Delaware, 30k for HWS, 38K for Miami, 19k for Genseo, 21k for Bing wich do you think is better....and perhaps around 16k for St. Johns in MN...</p>

<p>I get another 15k from HWS, it costs alittle lower than Geneseo now.</p>

<p>So where will you go if these two colleges cost nearly the same?</p>

<p>SUNY Geneseo by far the more challenging school as it is a public honors school!</p>

<p>I cannot decide my major now, and may be enginnering still, so if choose engi, I want to transfer to U Rochester/RPI(or better valueUVA),which one is easier?</p>

<p>How is the 3/2 program? Is the degrees regarded the same as the regular ones?</p>

<p>Actually, both USNWR and Princeton Review rank HWS higher academically.
SUNY Geneseo is more selective in admissions.
Don't be deceived just by Admissions selectivity.
SUNY Geneseo is a good school, but it's admissions selectivity (which puts it in the elite range ) does not match it's academic profile. Also, the college puts a greater weight on high standardized test scores than a most LACs, and because of the sheer number of applicants, can pick from higher scores for admission.
That being said, SUNY Geneseo is still ranked as one of the best values for a public college out there. That goes for out of state students as well.</p>

<p>Or you can look at it that the student body drives the school
The faculty can work at a higher level if the students are more capable of rising to it. Also, for classes graded on a curve, students will have to work harder to keep up if they are going up against other hard-working, top-notch students. Doing well is relative and a college of high selectivity raises the bar, causing (hopefully) students to work to the best of their ability and absorb more. An environment of select students may prove to be stimulating to a student's experience there.
I'm not comparing HWS and Geneseo (I really don't know enough about HWS). I'm just saying in general. Not claiming to be an expert either. It's just a theory.</p>

<p>Princeton Review online ranks HWS as an 88 in selectivity and Geneseo a a 94 in selectivity.</p>

<p>38% in top 10th of graduating class
68% in top quarter of graduating class
96% in top half of graduating class </p>

<p>17% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
17% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
19% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
20% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
22% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
5% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49 </p>

<p>well,HWS's h.s. ranking is not much lower than Geneseo...but its GPA is so low....why?</p>

<p>CPSEV, what is academic profile?</p>

<p>Which is stronger in math? and is it easier to transfer to Cornell's SUNY part from Geneseo?</p>

<p>HWS avg gpa is about a 3.4 now, SATs 1140 to 1320
Disregarding my username WPI2013 ive decided to go to HWS because they serve great advising for prepro students and prep for the MCAT. They also have the 3-2 engineering program, so if i dont want to pursue medicine ill go that route.</p>

<p>stats:
SATs 1220/1600, 1830/2400
GPA 3.35 Math-690, CR-530, W-610
my stats fit their profile
im an HWS arts scholar so it will also cost me about 30k a year</p>

<p>More of why i like about the college
division 1 lax at Hobart and i love lacrosse
Hot girls
good parties
great rustic town
The finger lakes on campus
great atmosphere