Geographic diversity in T20s?

I’m applying to competitive colleges in the US from abroad and am an expat that has lived in 4 countries. I know top colleges like “geographic diversity” but was wondering if that only meant they like to have students from all 50 states, or does living in other countries also count? Since they are interested in their stats and I am a US citizen, I guess it wouldn’t help their international stats?

1 Like

Geographic diversity is a very minor bump- and they mean North Dakota, not international!

#beenthere/donethat

1 Like

They want the students that fit best. Maybe someone from Wyoming will win the tie over someone from CA.

But this is not a reason to pick where you should apply.

Depending on the ‘competitive college,” three things that can help although its college specific are:

1. Full pay or at least no need based aid
  2. Early Decision
  3. Demonstrating interest

But it depends on how you define competitive - Bowdoin is different than Lafayette which is different than DePauw.

Find the right schools - where you feel you can excel. Reach, target, and safety.

Good luck.

1 Like

Few top colleges need to expand their diversity with more internationals. And you’re it international anyway. Your experience.ivht make a strong essay, but it’s not a diversity hook.

2 Likes

You aren’t an international student. You are an expat applying to colleges here.

That being said…I’m going to guess that this is not a bucket that will give you an edge in college acceptances.

1 Like

Honestly I see the international students at our high school struggling to get into top schools. I think many schools limit the international numbers therefore making it very competitive. Geographic diversity makes me think Alaska, N Dakota, Hawaii not someone living abroad.