George Washington University Fall 2019 transfers

Hey everyone. This might be a dumb question (lol), but how do you submit thecollege report? I haven’t submitted my app yet, so I’m assuming after I do I get the login info for the GW Portal and submit the form there? Or is it by mail/does it matter?

@collegestudent02 you print out the college report form from the common app then take that to your school and ask your school to send the college report for you.

Hey guys! Just jumping on the thread. Just applied this week… so scared we are legit never going to hear back like last year’s transfers.

What happened to last year transfers? @Kennedy1962

@favepotato It was just really dramatic… decisions were rolling out from May to legit July and people were going crazzzzzzzzzzzzy! We can only hope that GW gets its stuff together sooner this year.

Hey guys! I was accepted to NYU last Thursday so I won’t be applying to GW— best of luck to you all and congratulations in advance on your acceptances!

Hi everyone! I’m planning to transfer from a MD community college, talked to some reps before applying and they said that just about anyone with a 3.2+ is guaranteed to be accepted. Is anyone familiar with what the financial aid is like at GW? I basically got nothing from UMBC so I’m hoping that GW will be more generous. Also, is anyone else a Public Health major? Still waiting on my decision from UMD.

Does anyone know if we’ll really be waiting until a June/July timeframe or really just early May? June/July seems reaaaaaly late, though that is what is posted on the website.

I can’t find any real data in the open source, I’m weighing making a case and calling admissions.

@Redacted1 I talked with an admissions rep before applying and they said that it depends on when you applied. If you applied way before the deadline then you’ll get your decision by early May, the closer you apply to the deadline, the later you should expect to hear your decision.

@lycoris , thanks a bunch - I finished my application around 20 days after it opened. I had presaged all of my applications… I had plenty of time due to my work schedule :slight_smile:

@lycoris Oh how I hope the 3.2 GPA thing is true! Also, thank you so much for sharing this information with the rest of us!

@lycoris hey! I just called admissions as well and they gave me totally different information they said that all decisions about transfers will come out June-July. It’s so annoying that they’re giving people different information.

@maira91 just have such the feeling that we are gonna be whipped around by the GW admissions staff, like the transfers last year. We can only hope for the best!

@Kennedy1962 it’s really frustrating bc GW is my number 1 but I will have to deposit to another school bc of how late their decisions will be released:/

@maria91 I am so sorry… I am sure they are fools not to let you in as soon as possible, and it will work out all in the end! But waiting totally blows!!!

Quick question: I see that on the Common App there’s a spot to submit a personal statement (under Documents) but also the two essay prompts under Questions. Should we answer the Question and also submit a personal statement, or does the question substitute for the statement?

@transferquest9 I did not submit a personal statement, I only did the common app essays. I think you should be fine if you don’t do the personal statement, but then again, extra information never really hurt anyone.

hey! I’m in a bit of a complex situation, but one thing is clear: I want to finish my education at gw!

I went to a private university (which has a lower acceptance rate than gw) for my first three semesters of college, where I only earned a 2.1 gpa. This has been explained by a recent diagnosis of ADHD and dyscalculia. I also attended a local boarding school that has a relationship with gw. I had better grades in high school (88 on a 100-scale GPA) than my first year 1/2 of college.
I’m at a Virginia community college where I have somewhere around a 3.5. I got two recs from my comm college professors, one whos a grad student at gw and one who splits teaching time between my school and gw.

I have good extracurriculars icluding leadership positions in high school and belonging to a sorority. and have held 8 jobs already at the age of 19 (when I’m not in school, I’m working) including two congressional internships.

also, does anyone have a handle on the acceptance rate specific to transfer students? and how many transfer students apply?

Gw is the only school I applied to for the fall because I can’t see myself anywhere else. please share thoughts ((and prayers))

@ ats630, a few points of order.

1. Did you write about your medical challenges in your essays or otherwise explain them? I would be VERY careful to have highlighted that your medical challenges would not hold you back. As supported by your internships, current GPA, and other grades - it looks like you have overcome them.
  2. I care less about the number of jobs and more about the hours you worked. What was your commitment like? 20 hrs on top of work? 30? These experiences will definitely support your holistic standing.
  3. I haven't found any transfer stats, but I would assume that most students are in the upper percentile of undergrad students, 3.5GPA, 30+ ACT, etc.
  4. I'm sure that your extreme interest and passion for GWU came out in your application.
  5. Admissions is a numbers, statistical, and chance game - I'll share thoughts but I doubt prayers will help ;-)

Best of luck,
Redacted

hi new to this forum. just wondering if they are going to request for spring grades?? I had a very tough semester. (pre med bio major) and the classes I have right now and extremely difficult, along with this my professors aren’t great. Not only that I was depressed most of the semester because of this. Im not sure what the outcome will be but I know my gpa is probably gonna be lower than last semester which was about a 3.4. Im mainly worried that my gpa will not be high enough to get in again. im a current college freshman right now.

side note: accepted to GWU fall 2018 (couldn’t attend at the time due to family circumstances, explained in emails and on application) , good high school stats (top 15%), extracurriculars are good, visited GWU in March, sibling is an alumni and currently at GWU med.

*I turned in all application materials in December-january and submitted all required financial aid docs in February.

PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK