Georgetown Class of 2027 Official Thread

Georgetown should definitely respond to this ASAP? Over at UVA Dean Jeannine Lalonde seems to regularly scan boards and correct misinformation about their admissions process…Love her transparency and responsiveness-it is super helpful (and calming)…

3 Likes

Then shouldn’t kids have been receiving them since January when their applications were sent in? Or is this past week the first time Hoya Alert has sent notifications out. Seems like it would be easy to check with a current student.

are you sure? on my application proof I have my phone number recorded so they have my information

Honestly, I think this topic has wasted too much time. Unless someone wants to actually inform G’town, and they issue an explanation - everything is conjecture.

1 Like

Exactly; I sent in my phone # but I have no way of telling whether I submitted consent or not, or if that was even a button.

FWIW, I didn’t get any of those texts.

1 Like

i saw that someone on Zeemee did contact Gtown about the whole texting situation. They responded saying that it’s just a system that they put all the applicants’ phone numbers into, and then they just happen to get the messages because they are in that system. As per the conversation that people were having on Zeemee, people were unclear about whether or not this was some sort of a ‘cover-up’ or if it was really no indicator. The only thing we can really do is wait at this point.

2 Likes

But that doesn’t explain why some people received the texts but some didn’t, no?

1 Like

exactly. that’s why people were suspicious of Gtown’s response. it didn’t explain why not everyone got it, assuming that if everyone was inputted into such a system, everyone would get the text.

1 Like

my application on slate was moved to decided.

1 Like

Saw this on Applying2College Reddit

From Admissions:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, after an update to our emergency alert system, messages were accidentally sent to some applicants. We are still investigating why the alert system sent these messages to some applicants, but it was not based on an admissions decision whether a student received these messages, as these decisions have not yet been finalized. Admissions decisions will be released by April 1.

4 Likes

So Georgetown is claiming not only that its admissions decisions are not yet finalized but also that these texts were arbitrarily sent to some applicants and not others?

not credible, right?

I think it means something but it doesn’t necessarily have to be accepted kids, it could be any subset

accepted
rejected
waitlisted
apps that have a decision
apps that still have no decision

but it does seem to be a defined subset.

maybe we can compare notes after it’s all over.

2 Likes

they would never admit to making a mistake lol

On March 20th, Georgetown flipped their HOYAlert system from an “opt-in” to an “opt-out” approach. They sent a test message by email and by text to everyone associated with the university who had contact info on file. I’m sure they didn’t mean to include applicants, but may have caught a few who had a mobile number on file. I wouldn’t read more into it.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

That seems to explain it. What a mess.

1 Like

DS’s still says applicant. It’s In the Complete section. Has not moved to Decided section. Thoughts as to what that means?

Delete

1 Like

Same here….

1 Like

Does anyone have decided for their slate?

1 Like