Georgetown concerns

Hi all. My DS has narrowed choices down to Georgetown and two highly selective NASCAC LACs. Part of what he is struggling with is the choice between a larger, research focused school in an urban environment and a smaller, undergrad focused LAC. But I think he has a really good handle on the pros/cons in that regard.

What we need additional insight on is G-town specific. My son is undecided in his major. Everyone we talked to at admitted students day was very politics and professionally focused. Does anyone go to G-town who isn’t planning a career in politics or business? Anyone interested in education for education’s sake?

The second question relates to facilities. We saw nice buildings and some buildings in major need of renovation. The library was downright depressing, What does that say about the school that it has let parts get so. run down? Is this just the inconvenience you pay for proximity to DC? I don’t understand how a school with its prestige and money can let buildings deteriorate that way.

Any insights people have will be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure what the appeal of Georgetown is, given what you say here. It seems like you’re trying to justify why to say no, but that you’re hoping we will convince you to say yes. Without knowing what the other two schools are, we don’t have the best guidance for you.

I’ve visited many elite colleges and I can tell you they all have flaws. I am sure the other two colleges also have a building or two in need of maintenance. From what you describe, I’m not sure you’re getting the vibe you want from GTown. It would be helpful to know what your student is hoping for from the experience.

9 Likes

Many study other things. McDonough school of Business is top rated. They have other social sciences and humanities that people are in. We toured and talked to kids. The dorms and food are not considered good. If you google niche plus Georgetown you’ll see the grades and read the reviews. Hit the see additional grades button. No one, student or review, seems favorable on those two areas. Personally we thought the campus was nice and enjoyed its proximity to the Gtown area. We even walked the couple miles to GWU.

Obviously the name is wonderful. And the location for the 3 major Dc schools will put a focus on politics and they have the college with many majors, not just politically focused and foreign service schools. My daughters friend from Ohio is a math major there so it’s not all political although DC is their back yard.

What are you seeking besides a big name ??

2 Likes

The appeal of Georgetown is the larger size and vibrancy. My son worries that the LACs may feel too much like his current private school - small, intimate, rigorous but also limiting in experience. Maybe it is time to swim in a larger pond. There was an intensity to the students he met there this week that was appealing. He just doesn’t want to be the odd man out who isn’t committed to working on the Hill. He may end up there, but he doesn’t know yet and wants to use the first 1-2 years of college to refine his interests and next steps.

1 Like

I also want to address what you said about the research focus of LACs versus a larger school. It’s incorrect to assume that students at LACs aren’t doing research. It’s very common and I wouldn’t say it’s even very difficult for them to find research positions.

If your child sees research in his future, being at a NESCAC is not going to hinder his chances of doing that, and may even help his chances, as he will likely be able to secure good professor recs.

6 Likes

By endowment per student, Georgetown doesn’t compare with most NESCACs.

https://www.reachhighscholars.org/college_endowments.html

4 Likes

And for me as the parent, the conditions concern me for two reasons. First, what does it mean about how much the administration prioritizes undergrads and their experience? And two…health! The images on Georgetown is a hot mess insta of mold and rats are concerning.

My close friend has a junior at GTown. I have never heard her once mention rats or mold. Except for the food, and complaints about Covid restrictions, I haven’t heard of other negative things from her.

2 Likes

Have you checked the niche grades ?

A lot of older schools have older dorms. I was in my daughters room at Charleston the other week and it was disgusting. On the flip side the açaí bowl she got me from the dining hall was outstanding.

See how the dorms compare at the other schools. Many have new or newer ones.

Just donot forget kids typically stay only one year although your schools may have a residency requirement.

Ultimately assuming costs aren’t a factor, what does your kid feel?

Not even close to everyone will be working on the hill. But Dc is an awesome city to explore in regards to not just politics but many things.

I agree. I lived and worked in DC for many years. I know all of the opportunities it offers.

The decision is entirely up to my child. The cost at the three schools he is looking at are equivalent. He is just really torn. He’s the type of kid who can be happy almost anywhere. That’s a great trait but It makes this decision particularly challenging!

1 Like

Is it possible to revisit the schools? That may help give your child some clarity.

2 Likes

As a comment on Georgetown with respect to academics, it lacks a program in geosciences, which, in my opinion, represents one of the more appealing areas to study for a student with broad or undecided interests.

I’m always a little puzzled around the emphasis on some of the more superficial things when comparing colleges (dorms, food, etc) while ignoring curriculum, outcomes, etc. Those things seem to matter more as you do your initial tours and try and narrow down your list, but once your down to 2-3 schools you can really narrow in on the academic experience.

What you may want to consider is laying out the differences. What major would you choose? What are the required core classes? How many electives can you take? Do students typically hav more than one major? Do they study abroad? Access to internships? How about outcomes? Graduate school acceptance rates? After that I think it comes down to location. exploring DC vs Hiking in New England, etc. Best of luck!!

You want nice dorms go to High Point :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That’s fair - but kids do see the aesthetics - both mine did - and my son flat out chose Alabama because the dorms were new and nice and he could have his own room whereas at Purdue he had no shot of that - and potentially could be placed off campus.

Not every kid is interested in looking years down the road or at research, study abroad or outcomes.

In fact, I believe most kids (not on the CC of course) pick a school to go to school - and don’t think about things like research, study abroad, outcomes, or rankings.

In some cases, it’s which campus is nicest, has better dorms or food, or of course likely the biggest reason - it’s most cost effective.

Everyone is different to some regard.

PS - we drove through High Point (we didn’t have a tour and they wouldn’t let us out of the car). From the digital sign with your name on it if you have a tour that sits in front of the parking spot - to the insane manicuring - it certainly does seem “stepford” like.

2 Likes

My daughter is currently a Sophomore at GU and lives in LXR (first year was online). We had concerns about housing as well but have been pleasantly surprised, her room has high ceilings, a view of the city and new hardwood flooring – no mold issues whatsoever and a room safety inspection bi-weekly. The dorm food isn’t great and this year they made everyone choose the most expensive plan – she eats out almost every day. She does love it and has had research opportunities from freshman year on. The pro-seminars in freshman year were small and beautifully taught, even though they were online. It is very pre-professional and kids are focused on steps to ensure a job/career after graduation early on. The clubs are also a big part of life on campus and can be very competitive. The academic advising isn’t the strongest, my kid changed majors and schools, reached out liberally for advice and didn’t get much IMO. I would reach out to them and ask how they assist undecided student in declaring a major?

1 Like

This really depends on the NESCACs available. Hamilton, for example, offers semesters in D.C. and NYC, which could make the decision feel less like an absolute choice between two completely different opportunities.

1 Like

You do have to live and eat every day. Spend some time deployed in the military eating the same bad food and sleeping in a hole. That stuff matters. Also, R&B tends to be on the expensive side for what you get.

6 Likes

Academics come first, of course. But when both schools offer similar amazing opportunities, these secondary factors often become decisive.

1 Like

Sounds like a perfect Georgetown College kid. Did he get into the College at GU? What LACs are still being considered?

1 Like

Ironically, Georgetown is straddled by both Glover Park immediately to the west and Rock Creek Park, a little east. Both offer really fantastic hilly, wooded hikes, surprising for an urban area.

2 Likes