Georgetown v. Alabama Honors

<p>So far I have been accepted to two schools, Georgetown and the University of Alabama. Although Georgetown has better name recognition, UA is offering a full ride and a slot in its honors college. </p>

<p>What’s your advice? Is Georgetown worth a quarter million dollars? Does the University of Alabama offer as many opportunities for passionate students (study abroad, language training, etc.)?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for your input. If it helps, I am interested in majoring in either economics or international relations.</p>

<p>imo, no school is worth that much! life is more about what you do than where you went to school.</p>

<p>others may think differently.</p>

<p>DD1 went to Columbia, DD2 went to Missouri State. Difference in tuition…amazing but yet both girls graduated and immediately found jobs in their respective fields and both are amazingly successful…if you are able to afford Georgetown with little or no debt and it’s your dream school and you are wanting to network with in your field of study then choose Georgetown. If it is not your dream school and you can get the same degree and opportunities at Bama then choose Bama. You need to go where you will be the happiest! All four of our kids have gone to the school of their choice (their dream school) and they will all tell you they have no regrets. Youngest DD is a sophomore at Bama…she absolutely LOVES it!!!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Our son attends Bama on a NMF scholarship package. My wife is a Georgetown grad. FWIW she would tell you, “No! Are you crazy? Go to Bama on the full ride and buy yourself a house with the quarter mill.” :)</p>

<p>That said, it’s your call, of course. Choose wisely and best of luck.</p>

<p>It comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. Visit both schools and see which one makes you feel more at home. Of course the full ride doesn’t hurt, but I just felt like Bama was where I really wanted to be.</p>

<p>Three years ago, my son’s roommate found himself in your position. Georgetown or Alabama. UA made him a Crimson Scholar. He also landed a spot in CBHP. He figures that he can attend Georgetown for law school. He has had outstanding opportunities at Alabama – student government, research, study abroad to South Korea (all-expenses paid program), Denmark and Belgium, as well as other things. </p>

<p>The choice is yours. My son’s roommate picked no debt and has loved his time at Alabama.</p>

<p>Congrats on being accepted into two fine schools. A few years ago, my DDs found themselves in a very similar situation. They did not choose Georgetown and instead went for the full ride (not at Bama). They have had an amazing experience. The one drawback is the availability of internships. If you are not attending a DC school, you are at a disadvantage when it comes to obtaining summer internships. AND it is very common for students of the DC schools to hold internships during the semesters.</p>

<p>Just food for thought in re to the international studies major. Internships are very important.</p>

<p>May I ask, how did you receive a full ride to the University of Alabama? NMF plus another scholarship? Presidential scholarship plus additional scholarships? Anyway…congrats and good luck making your choice!</p>

<p>What is your intended major or career? </p>

<p>There are very, very few majors/careers that require attendance at a pricey name school…very few.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. Definitely some food for thought.</p>

<p>Seekingknowledge, I’m qualify for the NMF package. </p>

<p>mom2collegekids, I’ve always been interested in international affairs. Simply by virtue of its location, Georgetown holds an advantage over UA here. Not sure if it’s a big enough advantage though.</p>

<p>Have you visited Bama? If not, you should.</p>

<p>What is your situation? What is your family say? Are they happily willing to pay $250k for G’Town? Or will paying it require loans and/or difficulties in paying?</p>

<p>As a NMF you really have a great package offered to you. </p>

<p>Many of us are blessed to have students with the Presidential but the NMF is (as I’m sure you know) a whole lot more. You could major in Poly Sc, Econ, History, a Foreign Lang, Public Relations, Finance…you name it…as a NMF I’m sure you could handle at least a double major with several minors and with the study abroad stipend the NMF’s receive you will be able to study in the country of your choice. </p>

<p>Bama had 182 NMF’s enter as freshmen in 2011 so you would be in good company. You could always end up at Georgetown for Law or a higher (Masters, PHd) degree program.</p>

<p>Good luck with you decision…it is a great one to be faced with. If you haven’t visited Bama you need to, you will love it!</p>

<p>If I were you, I would:</p>

<p>Go to Bama, get into the International Honors Program, study Political Science/Economics and Communications, take advantage of the multitude of study abroad options, do local / state government internships for the experience of working in government. Get the highest grades you can. Complete a research project. Ace the GRE or LSAT or whatever. You can apply for DC internships but accept that you may be lower down the queue than local DC students…(and you may well be successful!)</p>

<p>Use the money you’ve saved to put towards all the things that make a college education: join a fraternity, play club sports, do volunteer work, take unpaid internships, live in a nice dorm/apt, have a car on campus, go on spring break with your buddies… or do all of the above!</p>

<p>Then go to Georgetown for grad school</p>

<p>smoughon7, One thing I urged my son to consider was all of the summer and foreign academic experiences he could fund with the money saved by attending UA.</p>

<p>Have you made contact with Dr. Fran Oneal? She is the director of International Honors at Alabama. I would recommend you send her an e-mail and ask about the many opportunities that Alabama has in regards to international study. My son, for example, has been to Costa Rica twice, Greece and a variety of European countries and this summer, will go to American Samoa for an internship (not a foreign country but still several time zones away from T-Town). So you have lots of opportunities to see/study many places.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the responses. I submitted my freshman enrollment deposit this morning and plan to matriculate at UA in fall! </p>

<p>The financial package Bama offered is phenomenal, but almost more attractive is the academic flexibility at UA. Even by limiting myself to 15 or 16 credits a semester, I should be able to graduate in four years with at least two majors (possible three) and a master’s degree. Even though UA is not as well ranked as GU, the fact that I can enroll in a plethora of upper level classes across disciplines, study in both the UHP and IHP, and use my scholarship to study abroad helped convince me to come to Alabama. </p>

<p>@momreads, thanks so much for mentioning Dr. Oneal. I have corresponded with her over the past month or so and just ten days ago I visited UA and had the chance to sit down and chat with her. Your help was invaluable!</p>

<p>Welcome, Congrats and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Even by limiting myself to 15 or 16 credits a semester, I s</p>

<p>You don’t have to limit yourself…your NMF scholarship covers up to 20 credits per semester. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Really? There are no overload fees with the NMF package? What about regular course fees? Does the scholarship cover those as well?</p>

<p>You really are a fount of information, mom2collegekids.</p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Congratulations on your decision. Roll Tide!!</p>