Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Georgia Tech absolutely has a very low out-of-state admit rate. It is a small school for a state major institution and half the size of our state flagship. It also has a great reputation, which is why so many out-of-state kids apply. Many use it as an ivy back up for REA schools or for MIT/Cal Tech et al. As a state school, they are required to serve the entire state so not every in-state person that is accepted has perfect grades and scores, but many do. Many in-state kids turn down offers at other equally or more competitive schools to attend because of the enormous cost savings. I know a handful of current students that turned down MIT to do so. Several others that chose GT for CS over CMU.

I apologize if I misread your post and equated acceptance rate with quality of student, as that has not been our experience. At any rate, glad GT was a good fit for your child!

1 Like

This is consistent with our school, for CS/Engineering applicants to GT (we are OOS): the BC and APphysC combo is almost necessary. However, GT accepts kids every year for less-stem majors such as psychology, biology, architecture and those kids seem to get in with AB calc and Phys1. I do not think this is unique to GT however: course rigor seems to matter much more, the more competitive the school. Unhooked kids who qualify for but dodge the known hardest courses tend to not do as well even if they have higher GPAs.

4 Likes

I took Calc BC and Physics C in senior year. I took Calc AB in Junior Year.

1 Like

For reference, I got into Purdue, UIUC and UW Madison for Computer Engineering

SAT was 1580/1600.

Shows you both how difficult Georgia Tech is to get in these days!

I was a certainly little disappointed but as a CA resident, the UCs were the best choice for me financially anyways :slight_smile: Certainly very satisified with UCSB.

6 Likes

Do you have other ECs? Such as AIME, USACO or etc. Are those will be helpful for GT admission?

We were told 3 years ago that those type of awards are nice, but far from must haves at GT. MIT and Caltech seemed more interested in those awards.

For OOS it appears they like high stats, rigor, and something in the essays or ECs. The essays and ECs is the part I haven’t figured out

I think they really like to see kids that are involved in high school, leadership a plus. They have put out a few instagram lives this year that say they want you to talk about their motto and how you fit into it and what you will do when you get to Tech to further it. It used to be “progress and service” but they have updated it - still hear progress and service thrown around though. Basically they want kids who will contribute to campus in a meaningful way.

Anyone know at what time the EA1 decisions come out on Dec 9th? Thanks!

I believe my senior has said 5pm.

1 Like

How important are Calc courses if the kid wants to major in Liberal arts (Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts)?
In state here. DD has 96.9/100 UW and 101.9/100 W (on a 4.0 scale - 4.0 UW and 4.5(??) W), Straight As, ACT 34(super score from 2 tests), 13 APs total, Rank 10/509. She took Pre-Calc, but not any of the Calc courses. She has leadership activities at school and outside. At School: President of Journalism Club, Editor-In-Chief of School newspaper, President Model UN, Co-President NHS
 Outside School: Founded and runs a couple of organizations, Representative of GA State Superintendent Student Advisory council for 3 years in a row, GA Governors honors program, International fellow sponsored by the dept of state and lots of volunteering and a couple of paid political internships.
She’s also legacy (I think). I have my MBA from GA Tech, but we aren’t sure if that’s considered legacy or if legacy only if a parent got his/her undergraduate degree from Tech.
Her intended majors are international affairs/public policy. So, not taking AB/BC/Multi-variable affect her chances?

Ivan Allen is overall an easier admit and Georgia Tech does offer calculus and pre-calculus so obviously not an absolute requirement. She certainly seems to have a good rigor without it. As an in-state applicant with likely multiple other students from her high school applying, it may boil down to who else has applied from their high school, what part of the state you’re from, and perhaps whether the other applicants have taken advanced math/science classes. No one from our high school has gotten in who has just completed pre-calculus, but it is a private school where few finish their high school career with pre-calculus only. Your daughter is in the very top of a large class so doubtful she will have a problem. The good news is is the admission rate for females is 12 to 15% higher than that for males.

The Georgia Tech website does say legacy includes a parent, sibling or grandparent who attended Tech so she is a legacy. Unfortunately, they do not consider legacy status in admissions decisions but if she does not get in she will be given a conditional transfer pathway.

Thanks so much. That’s very helpful. I am sure there are other kids from her school applying, and I don’t know what their course rigor is. DD has taken AP Stats and scored a 5. Not sure if that counts :slight_smile: I know AP Statistics is not as hard as Advanced Calculus. We’ll know on Friday :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Georgia Tech does not accept credit for stats because it’s algebra-based, unfortunately. Not sure if Georgia Tech considers AP scores? UGA does not. We didn’t send them and just realized it so hope that doesn’t matter for my current senior. He is an AP scholar with distinction and that is on there - just not the scores themselves :crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

VirginiaBelle, I’m curious if you think the Scheller business school is also an easier admit? How does it stack up with Ivan Allen? Thanks!

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the computational media major and if students like the major?

I don’t think business is easier honestly. Smaller admit pool and large number of applicants both in-state and out-of-state. Several years ago you used to be able to access that data, and my recollection is business admit was as competitive as engineering and slightly less than computer science. As a business school that requires computer science and calculus/differential equations/linear algebra, it seems to attract a more tech-y focused business applicant.

1 Like

Also one caveat as to whether one school is an easier admit than the other. Several years ago when they used to publish the data Ivan Allen had a higher admit rate than Scheller, engineering or the college of computing. Of course that could’ve changed as that data is no longer public. I also think that the Georgia Tech admissions office is very aware of people trying to apply for an easier admit and then planning to change majors. What they want to see is that your classes and activities support your major choice. If you’ve taken CS APs, interned at a software company, and are president of the computer science club applying as a liberal arts major probably won’t work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are these the admit statistics you are referring to? I don’t see 2022 data, but 2021 admit rates by major are there.

Fact Book | Institutional Research & Planning

3 Likes

Thank you for this information. It makes alot of sense!

1 Like

That is not what I was referring to as a source (it used to be published in the lite data on the website) but looks like much of the data is there. Certainly looks like Ivan Allen (like every college at Tech) has become more competitive! Looks like the general breakdown has remained roughly the same - business and engineering similar, CS lower, Ivan Allen higher. Can’t believe they only accepted 375 kids to Scheller in 2021 (the year my middle kid applied)! Thankful this is my last one :slight_smile:

2 Likes