Georgia Tech vs PSU Schreyer Honors College for BME (pre-med)

parchment seems to have data suggesting that among their sample people prefer Cornell overwhelmingly. I am not guessing this. Regarding long term outcomes, you could look at median salaries and such for various majors. Some of them benefit is optionality to pivot that is not captured by median salaries at the level of the major.

Let me qualify this a bit. I think a place like Cornell can help you if think you are going to be in the wings of the skill distribution in some particular majors. It is likely less beneficial if you are going to be in the middle of the class. Gains can be non linear for very hard working/talented individuals at places like Cornell.

Separately, this might also be helpful to the OP:

Cornell and CWRU figure in the list. PSU and GT do not.

1 Like

If the three users above wish to continue their discussion, it would be super special if they took it to PM.

3 Likes

This is good info for OP….the med school feeders you posted.

2 Likes

Well, even though one of my kid’s schools is also on that med school feeder list, the list seems like a poor reason to pick a school if the cost is a problem and/or the fit is not there.

PSU , GT, Cornell. All great, well respected schools.

Oh I agree with that. It’s another data point. No one should ever pick anything unaffordable.

Ever. Imho. I’m very risk averse.

I’d pick the right fit as one has to be there four years day after day. And fit includes finances. I’ve said that all along.

I see why Ga Tech wouldn’t be on a top feeder list. I think they produce engineers (and more) - so they’ll have a different student characteristic then other schools - like an Emory - where a higher percentage would have aspirations for med school vs a professional position directly out of school.

MIT is in the list as one of the top feeders. just fyi :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DadOfBoys3 PSU, Georgia Tech, Cornell (If that comes through). All good choices. Good luck to your son with the decision.

1 Like

It’s hard to find info - but I think certain schools send more to grad school. If i’m reading this right, more than 40% of MIT grads go to grad school. For Gat Tech, I can’t find - but it’s presumably less. It’s locked info for some reason.

In this case, it’s a lot of paralysis by analysis - because OP’s son will likely / hopefully have a strong opinion.

I like the head to head they’ve set up. Ga Tech > Va Tech. Penn State > Cornell.

The head to head is a helpful way to reduce a large # of schools.

I suspect your son will have a similar outcome - med school or otherwise - and success (or non success) based on himself - and regardless of which he chooses.

Best of luck.

MIT Graduating Student Survey (GSS) — MIT Institutional Research

I am surprised how high the number is for MIT. I suspect a lot of the kids do a masters in 4 years or maybe 5 years, and they are counting that as grad school. I doubt 43% the class is going into a PhD. That would be a very large number.

Did this OP apply to MIT?

Start a separate thread if you’d like to discuss MIT. Further posts about MIT will be hidden. Thanks for your cooperation.

If this student wants GA Tech, I can’t see any reason why the student shouldn’t be able to choose GA Tech. This kid is number 1 ranked at a private school. The kid seems pretty smart.

Engineering majors can and do apply to medical school…and get accepted.

I think the big difference in these schools is location. And weather.

And from a post above, it sounds like Penn State honors gives excellent advising for medical school wannabes. That is something that needs to be explored at GA Tech.

And as I mentioned above…every single student who thinks they are premed should have a plan B. Some will decide they don’t want to apply to medical school at all because they find other areas that pique their interest. Others apply and don’t get accepted.

Both schools offer the ability to change majors should the student decide engineering isn’t their thing also.

The OP has younger kids who also will be attending college not that long from now. I do not know how that impacts the financial picture.

As of the 2024-25 academic year, the FAFSA will no longer calculate EFC (there is a new name for it) with consideration for those multiple kids in college. Something else to consider.

2 Likes

The GPAs at GT is really, really high most of the time. If you google around you can find a link to a website that shows breakdown of scores for I think every class and the percentage of A’s has been quite high in every class I have seen, but I have mainly looked at CS and Math classes.

2 Likes

This is data.

I’m glad all those people didn’t avoid highly selective universities because they were worried about maintaining a strong GPA.

From a “donut hole” cost perspective, it’s too bad there aren’t more state flagships on the list. The top med schools represented by these elites are also elite.

1 Like

Please focus on the OP and not get waylaid by shiny new pennies of off-topic conversations. Several posts deleted.

I think OP has said his son will decide. He’s simply seeking outside validation. As a parent, I get it. I wasn’t and still aren’t really comfortable with my son’s choice and it’s tbd on my daughters. But it was their choice.

The issue is most will say Gtech is the strongest. Or Cornell etc. but every kid is different.

My son wouldn’t even look at Ga Tech. He had been in Atlanta and other cities to know it wouldn’t work. But probably 95 of 100 kids, if in at both, would choose Ga Tech over his.

So every kid is different and that’s why if I’m not mistaken OP will visit.

Sometimes, as parents, we just need reassurance that it’s ok.

I’ll say this which I believe to be true - long term there will be many PSU engineers that outperform Ga Tech grads in their careers. Not the bulk. But many.

OP’s son honestly doesn’t have a bad choice. But they are different. And I’m sure his son will choose and do so wisely.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.