GeorgiaTech Class of 2026 Waitlist

Somewhere in between it seems.

1 Like

That’s helpful. Thank you @Beyou2022 and @BusyMama

2 Likes

If memory serves, a student gets one change of major no questions asked. Any additional changes require departmental approval.

“Georgia Tech’s official major change policy states admitted first-year students may change their major during the fall of their first year on campus.”

I haven’t read through all the verbiage but here is a link to the form.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with or insight into the summer start program or the semester abroad?
I see both options being offered on the WL opt-in form, but we have mixed feelings.

After a tough senior year my D was looking forward to a quiet summer vacation so is hesitant to give that up (her HS ends the Friday before the start of the summer program so it would mean 0 summer vacation if she’s offered summer start). She’s also unsure about the semester abroad. It seems like few courses are available, especially if they offer France. And she’d lose the opportunity to be on campus the first semester and bond with her fellow freshman entrants.

Any thoughts on these two options?

DS doesn’t mind a summer start if there is an online option for classes. He actually opted into summer start to increase odds of acceptance (assuming that it would) but not the semester abroad. Not sure if he would regret it by the end of May if he got in.

This summer at Georgia Tech program IGniTe is great. Good way to meet people, learn about Georgia Tech and Atlanta, take a lighter load and have a couple of good grades to start the year. Everyone I know who has done it has loved it. Share your same reservations about starting abroad, and would only check that if Georgia Tech is really her first choice and she is willing to start in Atlanta in January, as being open to options will likely increase her odds. The good news is, she will be at Georgia Tech Lorraine, right? That will be full of Georgia Tech students and she will be going back with the handful of first years in her program so she will know some people when she arrives back on campus. Sorority rush, if she is interested in that, would be something she would miss out on until the following fall.

The summer program requires you to move to Atlanta, live in a dorm, have the meal plan, and be on campus. I do not believe online is an option. That being said, everyone who has ever done it has loved it that I have heard about.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. I will share this with DS. I don’t think he would mind starting in Atlanta in the summer as it may give him a chance to get used to campus life with fewer people around. He is a bit burned out and that is my only reservation.

Thanks @VirginiaBelle. That’s helpful. Will pass this info on to my daughter.

Parent of a GT wait listed
Application cycle :Wait. list
Residency : (in-state/OOS/Intl)
Major : CS
Secondary Major (if applicable) :None
Optional - Gender :
Optional - Hooks :
Want to know the process after acceptance of waitlist .

After you’ve accepted a spot on the waitlist, you just wait. In the meanwhile you should commit to another school that you’ve already been accepted to and pay your enrollment deposit there.

Then, some time in May or June if GT offers your child admission they’ll contact her/him and ask them to make a decision regarding enrollment. You are under no obligation to commit.

(p.s. For the sake of tracking the profile of waitlisted applicants could you please complete the template in your prior post? You only filled out “CS” but left out everything else. Application cycle should be EA or RD - waitlist is not an application cycle. Thank you)

1 Like

https://admission.gatech.edu/first-year/waitlist

1 Like

Hello again @VirginiaBelle. Follow up questions

If someone is picked off the waitlist and offered entry via “semester abroad” - do they get to choose between Oxford and Lorraine or does GT pick the location?
If the latter, is Lorraine more likely to be offered than Oxford?

And finally, how is the Lorraine experience for someone with no exposure to French?

Thanks again

French not needed to study at Lorraine :relieved:

2 Likes

Thanks @Beyou2022!

1 Like

I thought last year it was a Georgia Tech Lorraine that was offered? Don’t know if they have specified this year or not. Lots of people go to Georgia Tech Lorraine without speaking French. My son has a freshman friend going this summer who took Spanish in high school. They offer French 101 there. It is a really great program, with typically four days of class during the week and long weekends every weekend. Part of the experience is a purchase of a Eurail pass as the kids do seem to travel every weekend.

I can’t remember how many freshmen were there last fall - I want to say 30 or 50 - so not very many but some. Georgia Tech has been very vocal about wanting to expand their freshman class, and they have raised it by 500 more students than three years ago when my oldest enrolled. There are limitations on campus with freshman dorm space and classroom space, so offering a semester abroad allows the students to be placed in the dorm when they return in any space that has opened up. No idea whether they go in freshman dorms or whether they could be placed in an upper class dorm. Freshman dorms are shared rooms while I think most/all upper class dorms next year will be singles.

1 Like

It was GT Lorraine last year because my D was very interested in it when she was considering GT. She is fairly fluent in French and was researching the immersion program. Her good friend who does not speak French was also considering the English speaking classes.

Covid was more of a concern then so I think that reduced last year’s participation. My D’s friend ended up doing the summer IGNITE instead and loved it.

2 Likes

They are offering two programs this year : Lorraine and Oxford

https://firstyearabroad.gatech.edu/

Both look like a ton of fun.

Does anyone know how many are waitlisted this year and the acceptance % in the past few years?

Somewhere between 4000 and 5000 were put on the waitlist last year. 240 were given offers off the waitlist.

The year before was an anomaly almost everywhere due to Covid, gap years, remote options with many schools taking huge numbers off the waitlist so not a good barometer.