Getting a D

<p>I think I got a D in Trig/Pre-cal and I’m a junior right now. I don’t think I can make it up during the summer so what should I tell the UC’s on my college apps. I plan on taking it next year because I only got a D in the 2nd semester and I really want to retake it. I know that it won’t count towards my GPA, but what do you guys think I should tell the UC’s?</p>

<p>Talk to your counselor to see if your school accepts online classes (@BYU etc.) and take it online. </p>

<p>Or take it during fall at your local community college.. and on your UC application.. next to the class (where you're supposed to fill your grade in) pick the "in progress" option.</p>

<p>Do you think it would also be OK if I do retake it next year in the high school as well and mark as "in progress"?</p>

<p>Yes, it'll be okay. Two years ago, my friend was in the same exact predicament as you. He got a D in pre-calc his junior year, retook it his senior year and now he's about to become a 2nd year at UC Irvine this fall.</p>

<p>I'm not sure how this works.. but some grades can be validated (esp in math)... if you get a higher grade in a higher level math class (calculus).. then it validates the D from Pre-Calc!</p>

<p>yea, this class is the most troubling of everything because my GPA is very low already and I really want to go to Irvine and getting this D is going to make my application worse. Now I'm hoping on the essays and SATs</p>

<p>How should I deal with a C to the UCs?</p>

<p>Well, for bad grades, if you have an excuse or reason you got the grade (EX: relative passed away or something) then I think it should be ok</p>

<p>If you are about to start your senior year there is very little you can do about the “D” grade in pre-calculus. You can complete Calculus to validate pre-calculus, so you will earn 5 years of math instead of 4.5 years of math for the “c – Mathematics” Requirement. However, the “D” grade will still be calculated into your GPA.</p>

<p>Wow this is my first post and it's from a pretty long bump I guess.</p>

<p>I was wondering that if you got a D in an AP class but you make it up by passing the AP test, would that cancel out a lot of the grade that was made from the class?</p>

<p>I got a D both semesters in Calculus but I got a 3 on the AP test and I was wondering...</p>

<p>^Your teacher should change that to a C then. Ask him/her about it.</p>

<p>I hear that if you fail an a-g class (D and below) then you can repeat it and it's replaced by the repeat course's grade. Then doesn't this mean there are no penalties for getting a D, meaning a D can potentially be better than getting a B in the course, cause you can repeat the D course over the summer and get an A.</p>

<p>my teacher doesn't change the grade but then it's also too late for me to retake or change my calculus grade because the classes i have are set already.</p>

<p>it wouldnt really count against me would it because i have already far surpassed the math requirement for the ucs</p>

<p>Getting a D soph/junior year can never be good especially in an A-G...</p>