Getting accepted early decision, but for second choice major?

<p>If someone applies early decision for engineering, but gets in early for their second choice major, do they still have to attend? How does the second choice major come into play for aspiring engineering students? It doesn't really make sense if a student had to attend if he/she got accepted early decision, but for their second choice major because they probably have other engineering schools in mind that they want to go to.
I did not apply to the College of Engineering, but I have been curious about this.</p>

<p>My son applied ED to Engineering in 2012. He was deferred rather than accepted into his second choice major. All deferrals are re-examined during the RD process and then a decision is made about engineering. If the applicant is not accepted into Engineering during the RD process, he is then considered for his second choice major.</p>

<p>You won’t get ED for your second choice - you’ll get deferred to RD for your first & second choice. ED, from my understanding and observations is only for the ‘extreme cream of the crop’ who will get accepted into their first choice major.</p>