Getting an apartment for the summer?

<p>I’m wondering if it would be possible for me to, after my freshman year, to get an apartment for the summer and to just continue living in it for the subsequent school year. Is this at all possible? </p>

<p>In other words, is the only way for me to do this to sublease an apartment for the summer, then get a year-long lease at a different apartment, or can I just get a single apartment for both that summer and the following year. </p>

<p>I’ve always been surprised that more student apartments don’t offer May-May leases instead of August-August leases.</p>

<p>The short answer to your question is that such an arrangement is possible, but is relatively difficult to arrange and would need to be organized in advance. Many subleases are not directly advertised through the apartment leasing company, so it’s harder for them to find subleases which are in a space available for direct leasing in the fall. </p>

<p>If an apartment complex had available space or had leases starting in late April or early May, they would likely allow the lease arrangement you’re suggesting. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that some student housing complexes have two year lease agreements. Some students sign these and then decide to sublease the summer and second year of the lease.</p>

<p>How much stuff do you plan on having to move and are you planning on spending every summer in Tuscaloosa? Subleases and many student apartments often come furnished, so one’s not needing to move many large items. </p>

<p>I’m essentially planning on not returning home for anything other than winter break. If they come furnished, then doing a sublease and then switching to an August-August lease wouldn’t be such a big deal. I didn’t know that was the case. Thanks for your help!</p>