Getting an open suite?

<p>Hi all. I have 3 roommates planned for a suite in RCS north tower (I know that’s the most popular one), and the earliest selection date any of us have is the first slot on the second day. Does anyone have any idea how likely it is that we can find an empty suite?</p>

<p>Since you have an early time, your chances are very good.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Possible, not likely…suites in Ridgecrest South North go really fast and you need four beds. Have a list of backup residence halls ready to go. Make a list that you can all agree on.</p>

<p>Not being negative, just remembering last years scramble for that residence hall and all the subsequent posts. Hopefully you will get in, just be prepared in case.</p>

<p>All the honors suites are terrific!</p>

<p>Yes, but we’ve already agreed to split up into pairs in order to be in RCS-N if we can’t find an open suite instead of going to another building. Also, do you know if there is wi-fi in Ridgecrest South? On the housing website it says that Riverside has it, but does not specify for RCS.</p>

<p>DD and her friends are in the same situation but have the first selection time on the first day. What are their chances??? They really want to stick together so will go to Ridgecrest West if RCS-N isn’t available.</p>

<p>Yes, there is WiFi. Plan to bring an extra long ethernet cord also.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that ALL of RCS North Tower is Honors housing this year, so hopefully that will make the availability for those looking at that area easier to find.</p>

<p>My DD has the last room selection time on the first day. She is wondering if it would be easier to find an open four person suite, for four girls, or just two empty rooms for her and one girl. She has four girls ready to room, but now is rethinking it and worried about not getting their first choice. Her back-ups are good, but she simply doesn’t want to disappoint anyone. Is there a shot for four, or should she just try for two?</p>

<p>Riverside is all honors for Fall 2012 as well. The living/dining rooms are much larger than Ridgecrest South.</p>

<p>Why is Ridgecrest South so popular even though it is so small?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t really consider RCS small…Each tower is five floors and it houses about 966 students. I think it is popular because it is relatively new (fourth year) and is cosmetically appealing in addition to having great amenities. The location is good, the layout and size is similar to apartments, and the covered parking is very convenient beneath the building. Additionally, the Honor’s designation for the north tower makes it attractive.</p>

<p>As for the question of room availability for four or openings for just two, there is really no way to tell until you get on and take a look. Keep in mind that if you aren’t able to get what you want, you may be able to swap for a certain period of time if something becomes available. It is good to have a back up plan, and as Housing mentioned, it should help that all five floors will be designated only for Honors in the north tower this year.</p>

<p>thanks Bama Girl. i was more talking about the lay out plan in RCS looked smaller, but it’s not a big deal. if it’s available, i’m definitely going to snatch it just because of the laundry service and the stove.</p>

<p>Good luck to you ScorpioChik! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>UAhousing, do you mean that RCS north tower isn’t exclusively honors housing now?</p>

<p>Tommy…</p>

<p>No, all of Ridgecrest S N Tower is honors for Fall. </p>

<p>Scorpio…</p>

<p>Ridgecrest S is not “so small”. If you’re looking at the floorplan of one hall and the floorplan of another, they aren’t to the same scale.</p>

<p>I think all the halls have access to laundry service…not just Ridgecrest S.</p>

<p>If you look at the floorplans of the 4 bedroom units in Riverside vs Ridgecrest South North Tower, the living room/dining room dimensions stated on the website show 10x12 for RCSN and 12x31 for Riverside, 12X24 for Lakeside. I called housing about this the other day. I was told it is true. I’m not sure how true to scale they are drawn, but the room dimensions are stated on the floorplans. 10X12 seems small for 4 students to share, close to bedroom-size dimensions. My son was planning on RCSN but after seeing the floorplan dimensions, he is questioning his decision and wondering if Riverside might be better. He thinks it would be easier to have friends over to watch sports with a larger living room. It’s hard because the only model we have seen is RCSN.</p>

<p>The living room in RCS is not really small,probably about the same size of most rental apartments or even a small home. However, having said that, it is not as large as some of the other honors residence dorms as seen on the floor plans.</p>

<p>It is probably not that often that all four roommates will be using the living room at the same time, each student’s schedule is different: late classes, late labs, work, studying, going out etc. (you get the idea). Some students do not even use the living room at all. If there is a gaming system and TV, it might get more use. </p>

<p>I do know some students do not want their TV’s or such in the living room, they choose to have these in their bedrooms. If possible these things should be discussed among roommates before move in. No one wants loud late night gaming going on if the other students want/need to study or sleep.</p>

<p>Tommy, most of RCS-N was Honors this year, but the whole tower will be Honors in the fall.</p>