Getting into UM

<p>I'm currently finishing Sophomore year in high school. Grades aren't the best but hopefully I'm not too late to step up my game. I'm attending a high school in NJ but have residency in Miami. What would be a good GPA and SAT/ACT scores for me to be accepted. Also would I be counted as in or out of state? </p>

<p>It doesn’t matter where you live. UM is a private school, not a state school, so in-state or out-of-state doesn’t matter.</p>

<p>You’ll definitely want to step up grades. Miami is actually a pretty selective school. In 2012, the accepted around 40%, I believe. Here’s some data I found for test scores:</p>

<p>Test Scores – 25th / 75th Percentile
SAT Critical Reading: 600 / 700
SAT Math: 630 / 720
SAT Writing: 590 / 690</p>

<p>ACT Composite: 28 / 32
ACT English: 28 / 34
ACT Math: 27 / 32</p>

<p>I’m not really sure what GPA would be best, but definitely try to boost it as much as possible. But yeah, tuition is the same for in and out of state, I believe.</p>

<p>Something to keep in mind is also major. Music majors have more competition because the Frost School of Music is really good and selective, but other schools within the university may not be as selective or have as many applicants. </p>