Getting to Memphis from East Cost

Hello DD got really good offer from Rhodes. However, it looks that from our area (Metro DC) getting to Memphis, TN is kind of tricky. Tickets are really expensive and with long connections. Are there any “secrets” how to get to Memphis without breaking the bank?

Memphis is an expensive airport - so you have a couple options:

1. Go to Nashville (from DCA or BWI) and find a friend and drive.

2. Fly from BWI on Southwest - and endure a stop but shorter than from DCA.

3. Go from IAD, DCA, or BWI and take another airline - many flights and as of now, much cheaper fares although you’ll never know. They’re 5-7 hours. In the grand scheme of how many times they’d come home - likely not a big deal. I’m seeing flights at $140 one way - but of course that’ll depend on the time.

You can hope they find a Nashville friend or at holidays can “pay” for a ride by someone driving that way - ie gas money. Or they can suffer with a stop a few times a year and even if the cost is high, the great merit will help.

We live in Birmingham, and it is a super easy 3 hour drive to Memphis. Flights are usually cheaper in and out of Bham, if you can find the flight you need. My daughter also got a great offer, and I hope she decides to go there!! Maybe she could give her a ride lol!

Thanks. I yesterday booked some very strange flights. Not cheap ones… Forward is terrible but cheap 8 hour flight with Frontier from DCA (however works with our schedule)-connection in Denver. Back is direct flight on Southwest to BWI. I guess $248 roundtrip per person is not terrible. We were not flexible with dates and time. Needed to go in and out. If she will go to Rhodes, we will look into fliying through Nashville or Birmingham, but I was not interested in 6-7 hours of driving within 2 days this time.

You shouldn’t need to fly to Denver to go to Memphis. That’s over the top and don’t forget Frontier is fee laden.

What are your exact dates and what is your exact airport or are you open to DCA, IAD, and BWI?

I live in Memphis. I have lived in DC. You can drive from point A to point B in a day. It’s not fun, but doable.

Agree. But it worked in terms of time and money. I would rather be on the plain then driving 3-4 hours. We were open to any airports in metro DC area. We had to fly in the morning of April 14th to be in Memphis for the afternoon program. There are very few flights available.
I’ve never flew with Frontier, but we flew with Spirit with no problems and some international low costers. I have heard Frontier can be very mean. We do not need anything for 2 day trip, so tiny personal item with minimal cloth and snacks for flight would work. Tablet with book and movie plus headphones and we are set :slight_smile:.