Gift for Profs

I’m graduating in May, and in the years I’ve attended UA I’ve had some truly excellent and dedicated professors. Several of these profs are/will write me letters of rec, or are willing to be references as I apply for jobs. I would like to thank them with a note and a small gift ($5 Starbucks gift card, or something similar). I know of some schools that are extremely strict about teachers accepting anything from students, even if the monetary value of the gift is small. I couldn’t find any UA policies about this.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any restrictions like this, and in addition, whether this would be appropriate?

Why not anonymous?

Cash or cash-equivalent (e.g., gift cards) gifts are an issue at some universities—not sure about UA. A handwritten card is always appreciated (and if it mentions specific reasons they were incredible it can make a nice addition to their review binder in some cases). If you must include a gift, a bar of high-quality chocolate or somesuch is safe.

On the last day of classes, I have always made a point of going up to the instructor and personally thanking them for teaching the course.

As professors are state employees, they are subject to strict regulations when it comes to accepting gifts. For some reason, the legislature didn’t exempt school employees from the same rule which applies to elected officials. I seem to recall that gifts under $10 or $25 were okay.

A $5 Starbucks card or some candy would be allowed and appreciated. If you knew the professor well, a thank you letter would probably make their week. Many instructors wonder if their teaching has helped students become better people and to learn that it has is one of the best gifts one can ask for.

A food item or bottle of wine?

At our school (Minnesota), the policy is that gifts worth over $5 can’t be accepted by faculty from currently enrolled students (with some specific exceptions).

However, as you are graduating, your relationship changes from being under their to being a colleague (of sorts).

I don’t think any conflict of interest could be accorded to gestures like you are thinking of providing, which is the whole point of having a policy on gifts. I think it’s wonderfully thoughtful and very appropriate. Congratulations on your graduation and on the fine person you’ve become!

^ further to what others have already said: Trust that a hand-written letter will be appreciated! I once sent a letter myself to a UA professor (as a parent), because he was just that awesome.

There is a state law about teacher gifts. I think it’s $25, but I’m not sure. I know they brag about getting invited to dinner. I’ll see what I can find. One way or another, write a letter! Long after a dinner is digested and a gift is discarded, that letter will be a testament to their skill, and something they can hang onto.

Article about teacher gift limits: http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/after_all_the_fuss_last_year_w.html

If you want to give them something more expensive, do it off-campus.