Girls State/Boys State

My H was Boys State in the 80s and D21 was selected for this summer. The last I heard from the school counselor was that they were considering an online version and that the counselor would keep us posted. Anyone know how their state will be handling this?

Hi, I was accepted into Missouri Boys state for this summer’s program. Currently this is the only information we have.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
March 25, 2020

The Missouri Boys State Board of Directors continues to monitor updates from the CDC, State, County and Local Governments, as well as the University of Central Missouri, regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic and how it may affect the 81st session of Missouri Boys State scheduled for June. As we process all available information from these sources, we continue to make the health and well-being of our participants, staff and University employees our top priority. At present, our plan is to continue to prepare for the Missouri Boys State program to take place during the week of June 13-20, 2020. At the same time, we’re working on contingency plans and adjustments should this situation change. We ask for your patience and compliance with all safety measures currently mandated by governmental authorities to stop the spread of the virus. It is our hope that we may continue with all scheduled activities planned for this Summer. As this situation changes, we’ll continue to assess the risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on our scheduled program.

Missouri Boys State staff has scheduled statewide orientation meetings for all participants in mid-May thru the first week of June at various locations around the state of Missouri. As of this writing, we plan to continue with those meetings as scheduled. These meetings are mandatory for each participant and essential to making the Boys State experience more enjoyable. The details related to these meetings will be sent to all participants via mail and/or email. Obviously, plans for these meetings could change as the situation dictates. We ask that you check this website for the latest information on our schedule and other important information related to the 2020 Missouri Boys State program.
Be safe.

Matt Dameron
Director, The American Legion Boys State of Missouri, Inc.

Thank you @ad5aggu and congratulations on being selected for Boys State!

Is this similar to what other states are experiencing?

Our Florida Boys State program was canceled a couple weeks ago. They didn’t indicate any alternative (example online) being offered.
But this is Florida, lol…

Thank you very much @1Lotus

I checked the MNALA facebook page and it says that the 2020 Girls State (MN) is cancelled, but we have not received official word from the counselor. It does seem like it would be tough to pull off online.

Yeah, it would be tough. I hope the program will still move forward. I was really looking forward to it.

My son was selected for Texas Boys State (June 7-12) He got an email this morning from his coordinator at school that as of right now it’s still on. I don’t see how but we’re hoping for the best. I’ll update in this thread as I hear more. The email said that they will not take payment until they are confirmed that it’s still happening.

Missouri Girls State was cancelled

Texas Boys State has officially been cancelled as UT Austin where it is held will be closed all summer. They are moving to a virtual program instead. Our coordinator sent an email out saying participants have a choice of dropping out or taking part in the virtual/online program and would still need to commit to the full week.

I’m not sure what my son should do? Any other states doing the same thing?

Girls State was cancelled in MN…they are not doing virtual. My husband attended Boys State in the 80s and it seems like it would be difficult to pull off virtually. I’m not sure how much D would have liked a virtual version, however, there may be limited things to do this summer and I think it could be better than nothing?

I am going to be attending Arizona’s Girls State for this summer. I am very grateful because Arizona has chosen to adapt to an online platform instead of cancelling!

@treehugger17013- Nice! I hope you will report back about how the online format worked. Even though it will not be the experience that was expected, it will be historical :smile:

SD Girls State is cancelled for this summer and will be held next summer instead. For the chosen delegates for this year, they intend to do a one-day event during the fall (hopefully) instead of the full week.

@buckybarnesx That is a great way to handle things-at least the juniors from this year will not feel completely left out.

He should definitely do it - it is impressive on resume and Covid has unfortunately meant we have to opt for online. My daughter is doing it online for Texas as well