Glimpse into the future of UA's campus: Master Plan

<p><a href=“http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/planning/information/2012%20Master%20Plan%20Update/Comprehensive%20Master%20Plan%20Map.pdf[/url]”>http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/planning/information/2012%20Master%20Plan%20Update/Comprehensive%20Master%20Plan%20Map.pdf</a> This shows the plans for the campus through 2020. The area in the northeast portion of the map that formerly contained the Bryce Mental Health institution will be re-developed for student housing, green space, a performing arts center, and administrative functions. The article at the link below details a $25 million road construction plan that will allow for this addition of 160 acres to the UA campus. The green space at the bottom of this new addition to campus is quite beautiful and will surely be enjoyed by students and visitors once it is finally integrated into the existing campus. It is still not possible to visit this part of the campus without approval from security. Look at how much bigger it is than the Quad!</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama plans $25 million road project | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20130613/NEWS/130619894]University”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20130613/NEWS/130619894)</p>

<p>Okay, the Bryce Hospital. Has UA bought that land? It is still operational and it appears there are some new buildings or being built. I remembered on our tour they told us it was closed. But upon poking around one is not allowed on the property unless they are there for business. Looking on google earth it looks pretty “busy”.</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | Bryce property possibilities slowly being realized](<a href=“Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White”>Announcements for 7/22/2010 - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>Check out this article. It has an aerial view of this new addition. There are actually some gorgeous older buildings here that will be renovated. Will be a VERY nice addition to campus.</p>

<p>The performing arts center is already in progress and should be open sometime during the coming school year according to the director of the UA opera program.</p>

<p>Wow, that is good news about the performing arts center. Wouldn’t it be cool if they called it “The Terry Saban Center for Performing Arts”? </p>

<p>When I was a student, I loved seeing the long road, shaded by tall trees, leading up to the main building on the Bryce campus. Very Southern. But we weren’t allowed to step on that land. It had this air of mystery to it, and of course, it being a mental health facility, it was often the source of legends.</p>

<p>Atlanta, thank you! Looks very nice! Now I understand :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Was hoping that they could somehow work in at least a 9 hole golf course that would be on campus or close by.</p>

<p>Bryce Hospital. Has UA bought that land? It</p>

<p>UA purchased that property three years ago.</p>

<p>If it’s still being used as a mental health facility, does that mean Bama gets rent for it?</p>

<p>*
The 36-month period of renovation and restoration of the Bryce Hospital campus since The University of Alabama acquired it in December 2009 is slowly coming to a close, UA officials said.</p>

<p>“We hope to have complete access of the Bryce Campus by this October, once the new Bryce Hospital is completed and they get moved in,” Dan Wolfe, University master planner, said. “We currently have access to several of the buildings, but not the entire area.”</p>

<p>Cathy Andreen, UA spokeswoman, said the delay is the result of the high cost and breadth of the project, which was not originally anticipated by UA administrators.</p>

<p>“In order to stay within budget, contractors were given more time to complete the renovations to the building after initial bids for the project came in higher than expected,” Andreen said.*</p>

<p>Was hoping that they could somehow work in at least a 9 hole golf course that would be on campus or close by.</p>

<p>Yes! And a bowling alley! </p>

<p>Hmmmm…who could we ask about that?</p>

<p>^^^ LOL!
I was thinking a nice golf course using the old front building as the clubhouse and then student housing around the skirts of the golf course. Talk about really getting some prime student housing. UA kids could say they live on a golf course, ON CAMPUS. :)</p>

<p>The plans show Tut still in place and in the same footprint. I am going to assume there are no plans to tear it down and rebuild? Like I’ve heard mentioned by no one in any position of authority. Just rumors I suppose.</p>

<p>What is that other building on the back corner from Tut?</p>

<p>I assume that it will be a parking deck. That part of campus needs one BADLY! I am also surprised that Tut will survive, but it has a fairly attractive post modern design, and it is sort of iconic, so why not keep it? It also seems that Paty will still be here till at least 2020. That is a surprise, but maybe UA really needs it given the dramatic growth. I wonder if all of the administration will re-locate to this new land?</p>

<p>There are so many buildings on the Bryce campus – enough to house another university itself – I wonder what UA will do with all of them. I know the university will pay for environmental remediation.</p>

<p>I had not heard of this performing arts center. Where is it going…the old main building?</p>

<p>EDIT: Never mind, I see the map on the linked CW article answers all my questions.</p>

<p>Are they moving Admissions to that area?</p>

<p>Regarding Tutwiler – I believe that the source of the rumors that Tut will be torn down is the plan to tear down Temple-Tutwiler, which is the building next to the AOPi house, and which will be torn down as part of the expansion of all the sorority houses. (As I understand it, Kappa Alpha Theta and AOPi will rebuild their two houses on the three lots that Kappa Alpha Theta, AOPi and Temple -Tutwiler currently occupy.)</p>

<p>No, I think admissions is going to say at the student services building. I think the admissions building shown on the map on the CW page refers to what it was called when the building was a part of Bryce.</p>

<p>BTW, Environmental Health Services and the Office of Student Media have already moved into buildings on the Bryce campus. They are in two of the three buildings marked “6” on the map.</p>

<p>The student media building that was over by Bryant-Denny has been razed. We saw that this past week while at BB.</p>

<p>You can not get down any of sorority row, it is all closed off with construction equipment.
Paying4college, that might be what the plan is and some just hear “Tut” and go from there. That makes sense. Although, after being in Tut, I’m sure some of that building would not pass current building codes.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested in what is happening with sorority row over the long term, the Amendment to the Sorority Row Master Plan found on this page is also interesting. (Note particularly pages 5 and 7 for a comparison of today vs. the future of sorority row.)<br>
[2012</a> Campus Master Plan](<a href=“http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/planning/pages/2012%20master%20plan%20update.html]2012”>http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/planning/pages/2012%20master%20plan%20update.html)</p>