GMAT advice?

<p>DS has to take the GMAT this summer for the University Scholars Program. He will begin his grad classes spring semester (his junior year). Any advice on the best way to prepare/study for those of you that have taken it. DS 1 had to take the LSAT for law school and I took the PCAT for pharmacy school. I assume the GMAT is just as hard…</p>

<p>If desired, he could take the GRE instead of the GMAT.</p>

<p>My advice would be to check out a prep book at the library, making sure that it reflects the current format of the exam, read it, and take the practice tests. If possible, schedule a testing time when he will be the most comfortable and thus likely to do better.</p>

<p>Your son may already know this, but the test-makers are changing the GMAT format and the changes are being implemented starting on the June 5th, 2012 test date. I’m not sure if the test-prep books are out for this new format, but I would expect not. Here’s a site with more info about the changes that may be of interest:</p>

<p>[The</a> Next Generation GMAT](<a href=“The Page You Are Trying to View No Longer Exists”>The Page You Are Trying to View No Longer Exists)</p>

<p>If he can take the GRE or the GMAT, then if he goes online he can do some practice questions and see if one test is a better fit for him. Or he could take both tests.</p>

<p>The GRE changed last August, so it’s different from when my son took it 15 months ago. Now it has less vocab and the analogies are gone (or mostly gone???). </p>

<p>The GRE math isn’t hard. The GRE Verbal probably was harder when it had more vocab. I don’t know if the percentiles for Math vs Verbal are still very different.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I’ve already signed him up for the GMAT in late July so he’ll definitely be taking that one. May look into the GRE also though. Thanks for the link to the new GMAT. We totally would not have known that!! I don’t think the University Scholars program requires a high score, but he’ll want to do well.</p>