GMU(InState) or UMDCP for Computer Engineering

I got admission to both George Mason(Honors) and UMD College Park for Computer Engineering. Cost wise as GMU is in-state so its almost half the cost to attend in comparison to UMDCP. As I understand UMDCP Computer Engineering program is better, so unable to decide is it worth the cost to go to UMDCP for Computer Engineering instead of going instate to GMU Honors program. Please guide.

Congrats on great acceptances! Is UMD affordable without loans? If not, go to GMU and don’t look back. Computer Engineering is a highly desirable degree and you will be highly employable.

5 Likes

Are both within budget without loans?
Would you live on-campus at GMU?

I wouldn’t worry too much about which one is “better”, there are tons of companies hiring interns out of GMU so you won’t hurt for opportunities.

They are different experiences though. Have you visited both campuses? Did you get a feel for them?

Will you have to take out loans to attend UMD? If so, financially you will be behind the eight ball if you need to take out loans, and UMD will not significantly raise your starting salary.

So, if you’re going pure financial outcomes, GMU is probably a better choice, but the real answer is go where you think you will be most successful as long as it is affordable.

1 Like

Thanks for your response.
Annual tuition 59K. For UMD need to take loan for half of 4 yr tuition cost.

As I am out of state, so will stay in dorm.

$59k is the total cost of attendance at UMD. Not just tuition. You may get a merit scholarship in March but can’t count on it.

So you need to take out a $120k loan (approximately)? Vs no loan for GMU?

If so, then definitely go to GMU.

2 Likes

Then, go to GMU. It’s got a solid reputation in the DC/Northern VA region and with Honors you’ll have access to smaller, more interactive classes along with extra opportunities. It’ll be up to you to take advantage of these opportunities, of course.
But even if (and that’s a big IF) there was a slight salary advantage to UMDCP, say 5K yearly which is the MAX I can imagine, you’d never make the difference the loan would cost you and you’d box your younger self’s ears for not making the calculation beforehand.
And if you do well at GMU the most typical result would be that you’d get the exact same job and the exact same salary as a UMDCP grad.
Plus, with Honors+being on campus, you’d probably get an on-campus experience as good or even better than at UMDCP.
In short, GMU is your best choice by a mile.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.