GMU or Tech??? PLEASE HELP!

I know that may be an easy decision for some of you --between GMU or Tech, but I’m so confused. I got into the honors college at GMU but I got into my second choice major at Tech… my first choice being engineering. I’m in for bio at GMU but I don’t think it’ll be hard to change that since I’ve already gotten into the HC. So my question is should I go for Tech and change my second choice major from bio to mathematics (they are in the same school) and try to transfer to eng later on, or just take the safe route and go to Mason? I think I got denied because of my low SAT–1910 (I just can’t bring myself to take that test seriously, I find it so ridiculous) and also my low overall GPA-- 4.1, but only freshman year affected that and my grades have been great ever since. I took difficult classes and made As and A+s no problem. Also, I’m pretty good at math and I love it so much, so I don’t think it would be difficult to maintain a good GPA as a math major. PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK! I appreciate all replies <3

At first I thought you were my son but he’s not on CC. He got into GMU Honors as well. They send him something everyday and he feels so wanted by them. He’s in a different major so we went to an open house for his major last fall at GMU and they were so welcoming. GMU says that dorms on campus are available all four years but they don’t guarantee them. An apartment in Fairfax would be very expensive. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either school. I know I visited Tech when I was in college and was turned off by small town life. My son loves that. Tech is more nationally known because of sports but US News ranks GMU pretty high for return on investment. In engineering all that’s important is that ABET certification.

If your goal is to transfer to engineering you will need to start on those classes right away or you will end up with another year in college. There are posts a year ago (Tech Forum) on how people transfer into engineering by taking a basic class at a CC campus near Tech concurrent with their Tech enrollment. There is talk that the engineering school is closing that loop hole. You should call the department and see if it’s still possible. In the end GMU is still a good school.

@OspreyCV22 So basically, it doesn’t matter where I go as long as I do well? Thank you so much for your reply btw!

GMU sounds like an excellent choice in your predicament but of course it is your call. That is correct. It doesn’t matter where you go as long as you try your best.

@hokiehopeful12 thank you!

Agree with all. Go wherever you can get the degree you want and would enjoy the university. I have a nephew that went to Old Dominion University for Engineering and my son went to Va Tech (both Mechanical Engr). Guess what, they both work at the some company. I am sure the name recognition of Va Tech could have mattered more if they were working at say Boeing or on the West coast…but didn’t matter here on the East Coast.

@bboop42 this helps a lot! definitely will be making my decision within the next couple days… I truly appreciate the help!

Think I’m going with GMU-- talked to a current CS major at the honors college and she’s doing great! interned with Google as a sophomore/freshman! also looking into doing an integrated masters in software eng and be done with both in 5 years!

Daughter considered VT and GMU for engineering. She chose GMU honors program. You could go to GMU for a year or two and could consider transferring into VT engineering. With the location of GMU you would have access to local internships. Many students work part time during the semester and that is possible with so many tech companies in the area. She also liked the 5 year option of doing an accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s program. Virgina Tech has a great engineering program it was just that she wanted a bioengineering/premed option which VT didn’t have. Lots of companies come to the GMU job fairs looking to hire computer science majors. With honors you will get priority class registration.

@raclut thank you! is your daughter happy?

@student810 She is happy because GMU offers the program she was looking for. She had been accepted into VT engineering. If she wanted to do hardcore engineering and wanted the whole living on campus experience I would have suggested her to go to VT because they have a very big engineering school and lots of research opportunities.
Her priority was to spend the least amount of money for her bachelor’s degree because she wants to go to med school. She will graduate debt free. (no loans) She has had 3 summers of research opportunities and is able to work at the local hospital on weekends. Those were her requirements. College choice is an individual and personal choice that you would need to make based on your requirements.

I recommend visiting each school once again and making a decision. I don’t know how hard it is to transfer into the engineering school from another dept. One of my daughter’s friends did transfer after freshman year from being a biochemistry major to the engineering school at VT when she didn’t get her first choice of engineering there. It comes down to a personal choice and what you like about the campus of each school and what other things you want to do socially outside of your major. In talking to others at GMU, we heard someone studying computer science with a 3.8 g.p.a got a fully funded master’s/phd program at UCLA. It really depends on how you make use of the facilities and opportunities made available on the campus you choose.

wow! thank you :slight_smile: