Going into Junior year

Hi! I don’t know if anyone here actually works in admissions, but would anyone be able to suggest some colleges based on my skill level?

My gpa is 3.4, I’m a strong mover. My school preference is anywhere in NYC or Boston! Also Chicago!

Moderator note: Personal information edited out to maintain privacy.

There are several threads here that discuss schools and schools by location, so you might want to look back on those. I found this website really helpful when helping my daughter look for schools, so this might be another reference: ​Top College Theatre Programs You Might Not Know, but Should; Part 2, the Northern US Schools : PerformerStuff More Good Stuff

It discusses the maybe not as well known schools in each region of the country. In NYC, NYU and Pace are really well known. In Boston, Emerson and Boston Conservatory, but in putting together a list, it’s important to create a well balanced list with audition based schools and a few non-auditioned based schools since most of the programs take a very small fraction of students who apply.

Good news is, it sounds like you’re starting to think about this early, so you have time to look at the websites for schools, read past posts, get opinions from teachers and current/past students. For the vast majority of the schools, your GPA won’t be a huge factor in admission, instead it will be your audition (and pre-screen).

Good luck!

I don’t know what your skill level is, but you may want to meet with an audition coach. There are lots of programs to consider in NYC and Boston. In addition to NYU (GPA may be an issue for you - academics is 50% at NYU) and Pace, look at Marymount Manhattan, Wagner, Manhattan School of Music, Molloy, LIU (on Long Island but near NYC), Montclair State (in NJ, near NYC), Rider (in NJ, 1 hour from NYC), and Hofstra (non audition safety). For Boston area, in addition to Emerson and Boco, take a look at Dean College. Also consider Hartt in Hartford, CT and Western Connecticut.